VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Depression

Rate this question

willie 74

Question

Hello all. I thought I would share some of my expirience so far. I am service connected for IVDS and bladder issues as a result of a collasped disk. I had a fusion done in 08 and got out of the military in 09. I am rated at 80% at this current time. I recently had a C and P for depression secondary to my chronic pain and anxiety issues. I have read that I could claim depresion secondary to my chronic pain, thus claimed it. My C and P was about a week ago. It lasted maybe 20 to 30 minutes. The Doc basically wrote my answers to his questions on blank papers.

I have been seen at the VA phyic for around 7 months now. My last gaf that I saw was a 50, dont know if that means much. My primary care doc has me on methadone for the pain, which makes me kinda out of it, I was on hydrocodone since after the surgery. Dont really have many questions as i have learned alot just by reading everyones posts. Thank you all, it is good to see us vets working together and taking care of one another. I was denied IU. I dont know how the VA expects me to have full time employment while on heavy narcotics. I have not worked since getting out. I am currently in Voc Rehab. Chronic pain is so bad and hard to deal with, I swear I cant stand or sit more than 40 mins without having terrible pain. Has anyone been rewarded anything for depression secondary to chronic pain?

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

I think you will get your IU now. If you got a GAF of 50 that means you have serious depression. With the combination of your back and the depression I don't know anyone who would hire you. Maybe the VA will hire you to greet people as they walk in the door. What was the VA's reason for not granting IU? I was on methadone and morphine and it just takes away your ability to think. If you have chronic pain that is going to require you to be on methadone long term there is little chance of you even being safe to drive.

Hello all. I thought I would share some of my expirience so far. I am service connected for IVDS and bladder issues as a result of a collasped disk. I had a fusion done in 08 and got out of the military in 09. I am rated at 80% at this current time. I recently had a C and P for depression secondary to my chronic pain and anxiety issues. I have read that I could claim depresion secondary to my chronic pain, thus claimed it. My C and P was about a week ago. It lasted maybe 20 to 30 minutes. The Doc basically wrote my answers to his questions on blank papers.

I have been seen at the VA phyic for around 7 months now. My last gaf that I saw was a 50, dont know if that means much. My primary care doc has me on methadone for the pain, which makes me kinda out of it, I was on hydrocodone since after the surgery. Dont really have many questions as i have learned alot just by reading everyones posts. Thank you all, it is good to see us vets working together and taking care of one another. I was denied IU. I dont know how the VA expects me to have full time employment while on heavy narcotics. I have not worked since getting out. I am currently in Voc Rehab. Chronic pain is so bad and hard to deal with, I swear I cant stand or sit more than 40 mins without having terrible pain. Has anyone been rewarded anything for depression secondary to chronic pain?

I recommend that you have your psych doctor write a nexus for you stating among other things your depression is secondary to the debilitating/severe back pain. You have to develope a solid claim so that the VARO cannot tear it apart. You should also get letters from ortho and neurology. In the case of winning claims, more is better. The more supporting documentation you have the better your claim is.

JMO,

Bergie

• HadIt.com Elder

Well, actually what he needs to do is get a copy of his recent C&P. See what it says, otherwise he's just dealing with "wishful thinking" with no facts. Go to whomever (VA or QTC or ?) and get a copy of your C&P. Then let us know what it says, okay?