VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Mental Health Exam

Rate this question

Leap

Question

Greetings everyone! It has been SOME time since I have posted on Hadit, but I have been following everyone's walk within our Wonderful VA System - - - Currently I am 70% SC for Migraines (50) Skin Disorders (30), Depression (10). On September 3rd, 2009, I filed a new claim for PTSD, TBI, Hearing Loss & Spinal Injury to my neck & shoulders. That being said, we have passed that Lovely (1) One Year Mark and would like to get everyone's input on what the Examiner's Notes Read... if you don't mind; I'll just write up what they read per the Examiner.

PTSD - The veteran does not meet full criteria for PTSD - as he does not meet avoidance criteria

But these are good things, I think...

Diagnoses AXIS I - 1. Major Depression AXIS IV Exposure to Combat & Academic Problems

2. Anxiety Disorder AXIS V GAF 60

Major depression is considered the primary diagnosis. Anxiety disorder not otherwise specified is a seperate condition and independently responsible for impairment in psychological adjustement and quality of life. *NOTE* All conditions were most likely caused by or a result of Military Service *** The doctor further states, he continues to experience depression, and so he has been diagnosed with service-connected major depressive disorder. The only change between the current examination and the previous examination is that his depressive symptoms not warrant a diagnosis of major depression, as opposed to depressive disorder not otherwise specified. Additionally , his GAF score is somewhat lower, representing the somewhat worsened condition since the last C&P Examination. There is reduced reliability and productivity due to mental disorder signs and symptoms.

The TBI, Spinal/Neck/MRI, and Hearing Exams I believe speak for themselves... at least I hope they do! But I will add the Diagnosis from my Spinal Exam to get any input from you all. Being 36 years old, the Doc, after reading the MRI and conducting the Exam stated, "No 36 year old should have these type of symptoms this early in life." Thanks Doc! I feel much better :-)

1. Degenerative disc desiccation at C5/6 and C6/7

2. Posterior Osteophyte at C5/6

3. Cervical Spondylosis ***and of course, most likely than not these injuries occured from or as a result of military service***

I know its a lot Hadit community... what do y'all think?

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Isn't VA Math wonderful!!! I'm not too worried about the Examination - the Mental Health Exam looks really good on paper and (knock on wood), first time I applied for benefits, 60%... 1st time I applied for an increase - Migraines Only - it went from 30-50 bringing it to 70%. So... going for 3 for 3 :-) The only problem I had was when I applied for TDIU when I wasn't working - the only reason I was denied was because I was currently enrolled in school - I understand their logic, but I was able to qualify for the Post 9/11 GI Bill with 24 months at 100% - used up all my VOC REHAB Benefits, so I have been Truly Blessed for the past 5 years when dealing with the VA. I am only able to work Part-Time, weekends/nights, and pull a Security Post by myself... I'm finding it harder and harder as each day passes to tolerate and work around other people... I start to worry about what will happen when my school benefits run out... I just don't know.

10% for Tinnitus as claimed for hearing loss

10% for degenerative bone/disc disease as claimed for spinal/neck injury

PTSD Denied

Major Depressive Disorder & Anxiety increased from 10% to 50%

New Service Connected Disability = 90% made it by the hair of my chin... 85.825

Thanks everyone for the continued support!

Jason

I am going to school 3/4 time through the Post 9/11 GI Bill and work 24 hours a week - (2) twelve hr shifts on the weekends - I work by myself as a Security Officer in a Empty Warehouse - I do really well when I work by myself and don't have to deal with Customers :-) I tend to SNAP!!! Comes with the territory...

I don't know what I'm going to do yet, as it pertains to my career - I would Like to think I'm ok to work in the workforce, but I know there may be some set-backs in going back into the Real World... its a scary thought for me!

We'll continue to pray about School, Work, TDIU and Social Security...

If anyone has some suggestions, my hears - actually my eyes are open!

What about getting an eduction in landscaping or something similar? Then you can use it to get into landscaping / lawn care and/or start your own business. Those guys have limited contact with customers and seem to work 99% of the time by themselves. Seems really relaxing and stress free. Or maybe web design and then you can work from home....

• HadIt.com Elder

I always figured that, with my psych sicknesses, that I'd probably score really well on a Vocational Testing for something like "Texas Dept. of Corrections - Executioner", you know, nice quite job, clean surroundings, work at your own pace, nobody standing there looking over your shoulder, just work a couple days a week (it is Texas, after all), probably never on weekends.............no "call outs" and you don't have to put up with any dissatisfied customers!