VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Newb With Questions

Rate this question

socomsam

Question

Hi All,

I am heading to my Voc Rehab appointment Sept 28th and have no idea what to expect. I've been reading some of the post in this section and I admit, I am getting a little discouraged.

A little about myself first.

I am rated at 10% because of a back injury while active duty in the US Army. In fact, the Army just awarded me my disability after 21 years. I think I should have gotten a higher rating because for the last 20 years, I've been miserable. I am also going for the PTSD for other incidents in the Army. I have been able to to work, but only because I've had no other option. I am at the point where I have to lay down or stand up frequently throughout my day, even at home. I've never once told an employer I have a back injury out of fear of either not being hired, or being let go once I am hired. I am 46 now and guys at my age, without a college education, have very limited opportunities. I currently work in a factory of all places, doing 12 hour shifts which involve a lot of heavy lifting. It's the only thing I could find to get a paycheck. Each shift is a struggle to maintain my composure. If it weren't for my obligations as a father and a husband, I would have walked out a long time ago.

I really don't see any light at the end of the tunnel. I want to work, but it's getting harder and harder to do so. I don't have a college education and nothing really interest me. I was trained as a combat videographer in the Army with 1st Socom and I've been doing camera work since getting out of the Army in 1988, but I can no longer hold a camera, or stand behind one. I am now lost.

If I qualify and I am offered schooling, I have no idea what profession I can do that would allow me to take frequent breaks to lay down. I always thought I would be doing camera work my entire life, despite my back injury, but now I don't know what I am going to do. I never thought my back would get this bad.

Any advise (and encouragement) woulld be appreciated.

Jeff

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Going to my appointment on Tuesday. Any last words of advice? Anything to prepare myself? Anything I should demand?

Thanks again everyone.

Check the "homepage" here on the Hadit board. There is a click-down on the subject of how to conduct yourself at your exam.

Go to your exam with the idea in mind that you wish to convey to the examiner how you are on your worst days..........and, do not "dress up" for the examiner, go as you would normally be seen "around the house"............and for gosh sakes, when the examiner asks you "How are you" DON'T say "Oh, I'm fine............":rolleyes:

• HadIt.com Elder

Actually Voc Rehab will try to help you if they think you can work. Your first appointment involves watching a couple of films and taking tests. They than call you in for an interview.

Just got home. It was a great experience. I have an awesome counselor.

Two and half hours in and out. My counselor let me take the test home because of my back and sitting that long.

I guess it's not our grandfathers VA anymore. Thanks for everyone who offered help and advice. It's a blessing to be part of the veteran brother and sisterhood.

How long does it usually take for things to start moving? I went in for my meeting Sept 28th and took the test.

Few months? Several Months? I haven't heard one thing from my counselor since my meeting.

I really am having a hard time at my job because of my disability. I missed last night and tonight because of pain. We are on an 8 point attendance system and I have racked up 4 points since April (my start date).

I am extremely stressed out and losing hope in everything.

How long does it usually take for things to start moving? I went in for my meeting Sept 28th and took the test.

Few months? Several Months? I haven't heard one thing from my counselor since my meeting.

I really am having a hard time at my job because of my disability. I missed last night and tonight because of pain. We are on an 8 point attendance system and I have racked up 4 points since April (my start date).

I am extremely stressed out and losing hope in everything.

Since you are 10% SC for your back......I would recommend that you start getting treatment from the VA to document your case, nevertheless, to get some pain relief.

Are you currently being seen by the VA on a regular basis for your back? If not, why not?

It's crucial to have medical evidence about your condition as you will have to have it, to file for an increase now and later on............just sayin!

Good Luck!

Since you are 10% SC for your back......I would recommend that you start getting treatment from the VA to document your case, nevertheless, to get some pain relief.

Are you currently being seen by the VA on a regular basis for your back? If not, why not?

It's crucial to have medical evidence about your condition as you will have to have it, to file for an increase now and later on............just sayin!

Good Luck!

I was awarded my disability just over a year ago after 22 years. My counselor asked me the same thing and I honestly didn't think I was able to go to the VA, plus I've been afraid of my employers finding out I have a back problem. It's hard enough to get a job at 46 years old with no college education and having this sort of problem only makes my chances worse. If the factory I work at finds out I have a back problem, they'll let me go for sure and $123.00 a month will not pay the bills. I've been going it alone for a long time out of fear.