VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Claim Closed

Rate this question

COOL BREEZE

Question

It took 2 attempts to finally get someone at the 800# to tell me what my new rating is.(asked what is my current rating-ist rep gave only old rating) Wow-they really low balled me on this one. The good news is I went from 30% to 50%. This took 2 days, decision on 14th, notification on the 18th, and closed today. Half hour after I called the 1st time the system was updated. So what I don't understand is if I had a 20% for back, 10% for hypertension, and I know they gave me the 30% for the neck(cervical), and denied everything else this goes up to 50%. Don't they rate upwards rounded off at 55% and that gives you 60%. This comes up to exactly 50% the way they do it. They say It could be another month before I receive the payment.(Does it really take that long) The best part, I have all the VA exams so I can file I believe a notice of disagreement(is this where another rater or supervisor will review this-a shorter time? I think because the fiscal year is ending they are watching there budget very closely-leading to the huge amount of appeals for not doing this correctly the1st time

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

You really need to see the "paper". The phone conversations are to be taken with a grain or ten of salt!

It took 2 attempts to finally get someone at the 800# to tell me what my new rating is.(asked what is my current rating-ist rep gave only old rating) Wow-they really low balled me on this one. The good news is I went from 30% to 50%. This took 2 days, decision on 14th, notification on the 18th, and closed today. Half hour after I called the 1st time the system was updated. So what I don't understand is if I had a 20% for back, 10% for hypertension, and I know they gave me the 30% for the neck(cervical), and denied everything else this goes up to 50%. Don't they rate upwards rounded off at 55% and that gives you 60%. This comes up to exactly 50% the way they do it. They say It could be another month before I receive the payment.(Does it really take that long) The best part, I have all the VA exams so I can file I believe a notice of disagreement(is this where another rater or supervisor will review this-a shorter time? I think because the fiscal year is ending they are watching there budget very closely-leading to the huge amount of appeals for not doing this correctly the1st time

My VSO told me (and this is a direct quote): "Please ignore the responses from VA." You really need to see the actual paper response, and then challenge what you don't agree with.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Try calling the 1-800 number and asking them to fax you a copy of the letter.

You really need to see the "paper". The phone conversations are to be taken with a grain or ten of salt!

They said they will mail it out as my fax machine is hosed up. But could some one tell me is it true if your total disability =50% on the nose, do they round it up to 55% which then =60%. I thought I saw a post somewhere that said they do it. Also how long once the claim is closed with a decision does it take them to deposit the money. Another Vet was telling me that the new fiscal year was in October, and the VA was low on funds

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

They said they will mail it out as my fax machine is hosed up. But could some one tell me is it true if your total disability =50% on the nose, do they round it up to 55% which then =60%. I thought I saw a post somewhere that said they do it. Also how long once the claim is closed with a decision does it take them to deposit the money. Another Vet was telling me that the new fiscal year was in October, and the VA was low on funds

They round to the nearest 10%. For example, if you are 50%, then you are 50%. But... if you are 55%, they round it to 60%. I was at 74% and my rating was 70%.

Here is a link to the SC calculator here at hadit, which might help you out. Just plug in your individual rating scores and go from there.

http://www.hadit.com/service_connected_disabilities_rating_calculator.php

(also, it's located at a link on the bottom of the main Hadit page)

It is usually not very long if you won at the regional office level. The Montgomery, AL, regional office had mine turned around in less than five days.

If you already have direct deposit setup, watch your bank account for and pending or posted deposits. My claim letter and DAV letter arrived in the mail the day after the deposit.

They round to the nearest 10%. For example, if you are 50%, then you are 50%. But... if you are 55%, they round it to 60%. I was at 74% and my rating was 70%.

Here is a link to the SC calculator here at hadit, which might help you out. Just plug in your individual rating scores and go from there.

http://www.hadit.com..._calculator.php

(also, it's located at a link on the bottom of the main Hadit page)

It is usually not very long if you won at the regional office level. The Montgomery, AL, regional office had mine turned around in less than five days.

If you already have direct deposit setup, watch your bank account for and pending or posted deposits. My claim letter and DAV letter arrived in the mail the day after the deposit.

[/

Thank you for your response. I guess I got what was coming-expecting high to get low-balled.. I was asked about having titantus at the comp exam-they put down that I had that since the military, even though I believe there was no record of that-so I was expecting( a difference between expecting and what you actually receive) the 10%. I was already with a 0% for hearing-so at least that should have been secondary. so I don't know what the big deal is. The exam said it was present in both ears, everyday, but I guess that wasn't enough. Again, I am only going off what the 800# stated as a few members called and asked"what is my present rating?" And based on that response and the rom on the cervical it didn't take long before I figured that out. Now I guess I can utilize all the info here and file a appeal after I receive the decision. I believe the notice of disagreement maybe quicker, and if that don't work file an appeal. At this stage I wonder if I should turn this over to a service officer-don't think I did a good job with this claim. A rooky has to start some where