VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

My Next Step Is Bva Hearing

Rate this question

retiredat44

Question

My Disability claims process proceeds, slowly..

The American Legion is representing me and my claims in my Veterans Disability claims process to increase my rating.

They have decided to take my case to the Bureau of Veterans Affairs. Thye will hold a hearing. They are trying to get it live video feed, or else it will have to be in washington D.C. where the hearings are held, in which case I would need to travel. If I travel it might take another 2 years to get a hearing.

My legal representative is pleased with all my evidence.

The struggle has pretty much destroyed me personally.

This win would be a huge win for my family and I.

One more big problem, I am way too sick to travel. Also, not to be a drama queen, but people with necrotizing pancreatitis, and that also have complications (all of which I have) usually die of muti-organ failure after only a few short years. If this drags on pass my death, my family may never see the benefits.

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I think my VSO said I might get a date in about 3 months for a video hearing.. 9and thent he actual hearing date could be a year after that..

I am a bit worried that my condition might not be as evident by video, as I am a mess and shake and look bad in person... up close,, in video they will not see me clearly upclose..

Judges are not doctors and have no clue how being sick feels, they only thing they have ever had was the flu or a toothache, I am light years beyond that..

I would like ot know who else will be in the hearing room.. besides me my rep from American Legion, the Judge, and who there knows anything about medical? I know they have a recorder, the person running the recorder...

I went though and SSDI hearing, and they made me feel like I was a criminal and had done horrific crimes to be there...

If I knew more information before I go, I can be a little more prepared...

I suppose I will need to bring all my medical records..

I am just to sick to handle flipping through pages and talking.. I shake and fumble..

I go to website forums looking to read about other Vets experiences about the hearings....

I think my VSO said I might get a date in about 3 months for a video hearing.. 9and thent he actual hearing date could be a year after that..

I am a bit worried that my condition might not be as evident by video, as I am a mess and shake and look bad in person... up close,, in video they will not see me clearly upclose..

They should be able to see you just as clearly as if they were sitting in the room with you.

Judges are not doctors and have no clue how being sick feels, they only thing they have ever had was the flu or a toothache, I am light years beyond that..

The judges are human, they have illnesses and get sick just like us.

I would like ot know who else will be in the hearing room.. besides me my rep from American Legion, the Judge, and who there knows anything about medical? I know they have a recorder, the person running the recorder...

The only people there will be the Judge - You - anyone you bring to provide support or testimony - Your rep's.

Recording should be automatic and not need a person for that.

I went though and SSDI hearing, and they made me feel like I was a criminal and had done horrific crimes to be there...

If I knew more information before I go, I can be a little more prepared...

An SSA Hearing is very different in the way that with SSA you only need to prove illness.

With VBA you have to prove the illness and that it's CONNECTED to something on active duty, aggravation of pre-existing

or secondary to a SC'd disability.

I suppose I will need to bring all my medical records..

I am just to sick to handle flipping through pages and talking.. I shake and fumble..

I would just bring records that had not yet been considered.

There will not be a whole lot of time to be " flipping through pages and talking.. I shake and fumble..",

they try to keep with about a one hour time limit.

Talk to your rep and try to meet with them prior to the hearing - let them turn the pages and present evidence.

I go to website forums looking to read about other Vets experiences about the hearings....

You are going to have plenty of time to prepare for this - I do not feel you will get the video hearing

in less than a year at best.

Thank you Carlie, for the insight..

now I just have to stay alive..

btw, I gave my wife the names and addresses of people in case I die..

so she wil be able to continue where I left off..

(I am not being a drama queen, I am always a fever away from the end..)

They told me if I get one more fever from the pancreas, they will remove it..

everyday I wake up sick and hope this is not the day..

They should be able to see you just as clearly as if they were sitting in the room with you.

The judges are human, they have illnesses and get sick just like us.

You are going to have plenty of time to prepare for this - I do not feel you will get the video hearing

in less than a year at best.