VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Senate Approves Cola Increase For Disabled Vets

Rate this question

pacmanx1

Question

We all know that saying something and doing something are two different things. I could not find the full article even if there is a full article, there may not be a full article and for this to happen will be a miracle but never the less, I will pass it on. If someone can find more information or the full story please post it. I found this on WWW.Veteranstoday.com, it was under the Top 10 Veterans Stories in Today's News and the date is supposed to be 9/23/2010.

Senate Approves COLA Increase For Disabled Vets. CQ (9/23, Lesniewski) reports, "By voice vote, the Senate on Wednesday cleared a bill that would provide" a cost-of-living adjustment (COLA) for disabled veterans. After noting that the bill "would increase the amounts paid to veterans for disability compensation and to their survivors for dependency and indemnity compensation," CQ adds, "The Department of Veterans Affairs estimates that it will provide disability compensation to just over 3 million veterans with service-connected disabilities in the current fiscal year."

• Answers 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

THe Army Times has an article suggesting an increase of 0.1 percent pending passing of the legislation. We shall see.

Something would be better than nothing...

Next retiree COLA could be tiny, analysts say

By Rick Maze - Staff writer

Posted : Tuesday Mar 16, 2010 20:31:00 EDT The cost-of-living adjustment for retirees next year could test the idea if something really is better than nothing.After getting no COLA this year in military and federal civilian retired pay, veterans disability compensation and Social Security because of the weak national economy, congressional economists are estimating that the pay adjustment this Dec. 1, which will take effect in January paychecks, will be just 0.1 percent.

http://www.armytimes...e_cola_031610w/

Sorry Carlie,

I thought I remembered reading that there was not to be any discussion of COLA's.

If thats not so, than Im mistaken. Not looking for an argument with you.

If my reply was considered "continuance of dribble bashing the VA by you, that wasn't my intent.

allan,

No, I wasn't at all referring to you or anyone else in this thread, regarding a

"continuance of dribble bashing the VA".

Check your PM section.

This is the CPI for COLA formula and as John said there are somethings on there that we all do not need. I did not remember all this on here, my apologies. I think they just sent me an email with the food portion. I wonder if they have ever thought or considered to do a retired/disabled CPI for COLA since our uses are not the same as active duty personnel/working personnel.

http://www.bls.gov/cpi/cpiri2008.pdf

I know my mind is not right, however, I emailed the BLS last year to find out what products are considers with the CPI for COLA and there were only food products on the information they emailed me.......no kind of electronics or anything else anyone would consider not truly essential.

There are multile CPI formulas.

Edited by yelloownumber5

• HadIt.com Elder

Don't cha feel we get enough?????????? I have plenty. Could I spend more - sure! We have shelter, food, water, a vehicle, family, friends, Hadit, etc. What more do we need??? Some of you are sounding to me like some of these CEO's wanting more and more. Look around the world and compare our lives to their's. I'll take mine any day! Sorry but I get sooooo tired of hearing the whinning. Woe is me!!! I get $20+ an hour, 40 hrs a week cuz I can't work. Unfortunately, in my area of the country, $10-$12 an hour is great pay - altho minimum wage is more prevelent. jmo

pr

• HadIt.com Elder

Actually PR, you make more. Say you make 54000 per year and after deductions taxes and ect of 24 percent you make 41000.

I am still looking for the lost 25 percent increase proposed a few years ago. I have looked everywhere. It must have been a dream.

J