VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd/mdd Due To Mst, I'm Afraid Of C&p.

Rate this question

random4444

Question

Diagnosed with MDD (major depressive disorder) and told I probably have PTSD (which can apparently only be diagnosed at C&P). These are due to a MST which occured in service.

How much detail do I need to go into? Can I just write down what happened before I go in there, hand it to them and let them deal with it as I do not want the embarassment nor do I

want to feel how that conversation would make me. I have a GAF 30-40 every time I talk to any of those VA ____. Also diagnosed with pyschosis and alcohol addiction (catagorized

as in remission).

I've heard from other vets that PTSD C&P is basically them making you relive every moment, watching you cry and lose it, doing this multiple times, and then months later they often

were denied anyways when it was apparent they had it.

Moreover I'm terrified that if they rate me high enough that they will make me come back in every 6 months and relive things which have ________ every aspect of my life. Is this how it

works, or please give me a little bit of hope and tell me that once I do my C&P that a re-eval would be just confirming I'm still _____ rather than just doing the C&P over again.

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Random,

i was diagnosed w/ ptsd due to mst prior to the c&p exam. i dont know if that is typical or not but i met w/ a social worker in either the mst or ptsd clinic. it was a 2 or 3 appt process. that was the painful part. first one was general info. 2nd & 3rd were hell. took me a few hrs after appt to calm down just to be able to drive. after that, i applied for SC. when i had my c&p, it was also just general questions. it was still anxiety provoking for me. i had horrible nightmares that they were vampires (i have no idea why) and was just hysterical when i walked in the office. the dr was nice and never pushed for my "details." why? i couldnt tell u. she reassured me that she wouldnt ask. she stuck to asking questions about how the incident has impacted my social, profession and family life. i think i was in and out in like an hour or so. again, this may be just unique to me, i dont know. but, u asked.

as for writing it down, i dont think that will fly. thats just my opinion. as for going in multiple times and going over this, um not so much. at least to my knowledge. i wont have to go in for re-eval for 5 yrs unless i want to ask for an increase which i just recently did. and no offense to the folks who told u they were denied when it was clear they had it, u never know the whole story. remember, perception is reality. just have all ur stuff in order and make sure u have ur documentation.

best of luck to u.

• HadIt.com Elder

Part of the process of a Medical Evaluation is that the Doctor observes your reactions, how you deport yourself, how you are dressed are you shaky or nervous. They also look at small things like eye contact and even include how you react to their questions and how you react after you give an answer.

Some of its a game but its a very important game and you can either decide that your earned your benefits and that you need to accept that you are playing by VA rules and not yours.

John gave you good advice bring a loved one with you and for your sake don't dress up like you are going to a job interview. Answer the questions like it is every day life in your home.

If you did not steal, start fires,have trouble with law and hear voices before you went into service you should win your claim if you can link a current diagnosis back to your service. Above all don't lie they will trick you if you do.

Diagnosed with MDD (major depressive disorder) and told I probably have PTSD (which can apparently only be diagnosed at C&P). These are due to a MST which occured in service.

How much detail do I need to go into? Can I just write down what happened before I go in there, hand it to them and let them deal with it as I do not want the embarassment nor do I

want to feel how that conversation would make me. I have a GAF 30-40 every time I talk to any of those VA ____. Also diagnosed with pyschosis and alcohol addiction (catagorized

as in remission).

I've heard from other vets that PTSD C&P is basically them making you relive every moment, watching you cry and lose it, doing this multiple times, and then months later they often

were denied anyways when it was apparent they had it.

Moreover I'm terrified that if they rate me high enough that they will make me come back in every 6 months and relive things which have ________ every aspect of my life. Is this how it

works, or please give me a little bit of hope and tell me that once I do my C&P that a re-eval would be just confirming I'm still _____ rather than just doing the C&P over again.

Actually I was DXed with PTSD by a VA shrink before I had my C&P. While do go in and see him quarterly now we more or less just ask how I am doing and how are the meds working. I am not asked to go over everything or anything again and those meetings. They are not there to push deeper toward a loony bin but are there to help you deal with your situation.

Your observations of the mental medical field is rather screwed from your postings.

The C&P is on the other hand is different and is used to evaluate how it is effecting your every day life so they can come up with the proper % to compensated you.

Good luck with your claim!

Vetwow can help those who have suffered MST/PTSD. They helped me. It is a difficult journey, so prepare yourself for that. You need to contact your nearest VA and starte getting treatment for your MTS/PTSD. I wish you the best.

~frau