VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd Claim

Rate this question

dogface

Question

Hello everyone,

I recently visited the VA clinic after qualifying for the medical benefits due to a service connected condition. During the intake I was diagnosed as a positive for symptoms of ptsd, and they preferred that I didn't leave until seen... I have visited the psychiatrist there 4 times. He has stated I have ptsd symptoms, but I am not sure if the visits were for measuring me for my own benefit or to disqualify me for some reason. During the interview I confessed to heavy drinking, does that hurt a claim? I have an appointment with a local VSO in a couple of weeks. Thanks very much ...

unsure.gif

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

You want to get treatment for the drinking problem. For one reason it will kill you. Secondly, the VA may not prescribe meds you need if you come up positive on alcohol screen. You won't get pain meds. They may not give you anxiety meds if you continue to drink. They are scared to death you will OD and they will be blamed. Drinking and drug abuse is a symptom of PTSD and many other emotional disorders. I used drugs 40 years ago and the VA continues to bring up these matters in recent claim. Now since I get pain meds they give me interogation every month and drug screen for alcohol and any other drugs. Get detoxed as soon as you can. I know this is easy to say and hard to do.

• HadIt.com Elder

Hello everyone,

I recently visited the VA clinic after qualifying for the medical benefits due to a service connected condition. During the intake I was diagnosed as a positive for symptoms of ptsd, and they preferred that I didn't leave until seen... I have visited the psychiatrist there 4 times. He has stated I have ptsd symptoms, but I am not sure if the visits were for measuring me for my own benefit or to disqualify me for some reason. During the interview I confessed to heavy drinking, does that hurt a claim? I have an appointment with a local VSO in a couple of weeks. Thanks very much ...

unsure.gif

a co

Well, one thing is good (actually SEVERAL things are good) but the one thing that I see that is REALLY good (other than you realizing that your drinking too much, which is REALLY the BEST thing to come of this experience so far) is the fact that you have a PTSD diagnosis FROM A VA EMPLOYED PSYCHIATRIST, which is NOW a requirement for you to be granted disability for symptoms of PTSD. Get a copy of your medical records from the med records dept/release of information desk at you VA Medical Center and tell them that you desire, especially, all your psych records. Take those with you to your appointment with the VSO, and tell the VSO that you want to fill out the NEW VA Form #21-526EZ (the NEW short form 21-526 which is just, like three pages long instead of the normal 20 some-odd pages). This new form, I am finding out by experience, is getting some very quick "action" out of the VA. You might even want to go to the VA forms site and download this form to take with you, because I am finding out that there are a LOT of VSO's that are NOT aware of it's existence.

Thanks you all, I should clarify. I no longer have a drinking problem, but confessed to drinking during the stressful times of my duty-and then for a few years after I got out. I wan not completely honest with the shrink, I kept my dope smoking to myself. Pretty much a straight arrow now, just the "normal" f'd up attitude, bad dreams,etc... I really appreciate the helping hand, it means a lot. Thanks very much...

cool.gif