VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd Test & "cycling Ptsd"

Rate this question

buzzard

Question

I hope I am now on the right path to help and claim:

First and foremost, I joined this awesome webiste...then I called the VA to file an "informal claim" a few weeks back.

Got my physical, blood work, urine test, first psychologist and first physicatrist appointments done. Got confirmation from VA that I am "Priority Five" re: medical coverage.

Located a VSO who is recommended by VVA.

When I went to see the psychologist, she talked with me for a while, then gave me a written test (I think it was about 15 questions); once she looked the completed test over, she said "I think you probably are suffering from PTSD". The following week, I had an appointment with the Psychiatrist, and he said "you have cycling PTSD"; I was prescribed both an anti-depressant and sleeping pills.

Also, I am awaiting a call from a VAMC to schedule a hearing test and AO exam/registry.

I got all my private medical records now.

I do not have any of the VA medical records yet (I was inpatient/outpatient, mental, years back).

I do not have my military file yet.

I have an appointment with my VSO next week, and she said she will be happy to file a disability claim for me, and that it would really be too much for me to do by myself. She asked me to bring ID, DD214, Marriage License, SS Cards, Private physicians names, addresses, phone numbers, any photos I have that will prove where I was, and what I did (I have two full photo albums from VN including pics of my ship.....)along with miscellaneous paraphanelia (sp?)....

Is there anything else I need to do? Thanks for all your help.

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Well, you really could do the claim yourself. Regarding evidence submissions you need to be sure your VSO sticks to time limits and deadlines. If your VSO stops communicating with you fire them. If your VSO does not follow through on your claim it is you that is up the creek. You are responsible for your claim. You must be damn sure your VSO submits all your evidence in a timely manner. Is VVA doing your claim? I hear they are pretty good. I think DAV is horrible. If your VSO does not return phone calls fire them. That is first sign they are not going to work for you. Don't let them have originals of any documents. They should copy them but you keep originals. A good VSO is great help and a bad one or lazy one is a disaster. Keep in touch with Hadit as you go. Someone here always knows something that can help because they have been through the same experience. I have never heard of cycling ptsd unless you get it while riding a bike. Cycling ptsd sound a bit like bipolar disorder.

I will keep all informed on my VSO's progress....she is with the local county Veterans Services...said the tinnitus/hearing loss would be no problem, and that she is pretty good with PTSD claims...and she said she only needs copies of everything....what is a reasonable amount of time for her to get the disability filed?

As for "cycling PTSD"....you're right in saying "bipolar", as there IS a such thing as "cycling bipolar"...I have a family member who suffers from that BUT I DO NOT.....he definetely used the words "cycling PTSD"..this is the VA Psych who said it....maybe he was trying to use a layman's way of explaining that my PTSD cycles.....I don't know, but I did tell him my history, and it seems the PTSD comes and goes; sometimes with years between episodes, although it has started some time ago and not getting better at present....I think if he meant I was "bipolar" he would of prescribed bipolar medication(s); though he did prescribe antidepressant...I can't for the life of me remember the name of it but it should be coming in the mail next week (and he also prescribed "hydroxyzine pamoate 25mg 1 or 2 a day" which I only know because they gave me a bottle of it when I was there)...is the hydroxyzine for insomnia? anxiety? I wish I could remember more of my appointment with him, but I can't....I do have an appointment in 2 weeks for blood work (not fasting) because he said he wants to "make sure nothing physical is causing my problems"....so why did he already prescribe then? However, I had fasting blood work last week, all of which was good except very slightly elevated "bad cholesterol".....

I will keep all informed on my VSO's progress....she is with the local county Veterans Services...said the tinnitus/hearing loss would be no problem, and that she is pretty good with PTSD claims...and she said she only needs copies of everything....what is a reasonable amount of time for her to get the disability filed?

As for "cycling PTSD"....you're right in saying "bipolar", as there IS a such thing as "cycling bipolar"...I have a family member who suffers from that BUT I DO NOT.....he definetely used the words "cycling PTSD"..this is the VA Psych who said it....maybe he was trying to use a layman's way of explaining that my PTSD cycles.....I don't know, but I did tell him my history, and it seems the PTSD comes and goes; sometimes with years between episodes, although it has started some time ago and not getting better at present....I think if he meant I was "bipolar" he would of prescribed bipolar medication(s); though he did prescribe antidepressant...I can't for the life of me remember the name of it but it should be coming in the mail next week (and he also prescribed "hydroxyzine pamoate 25mg 1 or 2 a day" which I only know because they gave me a bottle of it when I was there)...is the hydroxyzine for insomnia? anxiety? I wish I could remember more of my appointment with him, but I can't....I do have an appointment in 2 weeks for blood work (not fasting) because he said he wants to "make sure nothing physical is causing my problems"....so why did he already prescribe then? However, I had fasting blood work last week, all of which was good except very slightly elevated "bad cholesterol".....

CELEXA is the other drug he prescribed....got it today

• HadIt.com Elder

Don't mention any relatives with bipolar disorder. Don't even use the word at the VA. After you get your IU or 100% never mention the word "work". You don't want to give these guys any threads to pull on. Everything that is wrong with happened because of your service. Nothing before that should even be discussed. Nothing about your childhood or any of that stuff.

Thanks John...will do. BTW, that family member is not a blood-related one (ex sister in law), but I hear ya loud and clear.

It is a good thing, though, that both the psychologist and psychiatrist feel I have PTSD, right? I would think they have written this in my file/chart....I am interested to see what is in my past VAMC & VAOC records...hopefully I'll be getting those records in a few weeks (I received an email from National Personnel Record Center stating I should get them about the second week of October...does this mean personnel AND medical records, or just personnel records?...I may have sent to the wrong place for my VAMC & VAOC records)

And I assume that the blood test I have to take in two weeks at VAOC would be so they can check to make sure I'm taking both the celexa and vistaril?

Thanks again.