VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Nod For Ptsd Claim

Rate this question

usmc1833sgt

Question

Hi everyone,

I served almost 8 years in the Marine Corps from 2002-2009. I did two tours in Iraq in 2004-5 and 2008. I am an amphibious assault vehicle crewman and saw sustained combat in the 2004 tour. I came home with obvious issues with anger and solitude and relationship problems that continue today. I filed a ptsd claim myself and got family and friends to write letters and went to the c&p exam and effective january 8 2009 was awarded 30% disability. what pisses me off a friend of mine that was in a rear supply area got 50% and saw combat once..... I filed a NOD and the v.a. acknowledged they recieved it april 23 2010. I elected a decision review officer and sent in a couple more family letters for good measure with my NOD. I havent heard anything since then... Did I do the right thing with the NOD or should I have a filed the va form that disagrees with the percentage rating. I also requested a copy of my medical records from the va 2months ago and got nothing yet and called them to have them say theyre working on it. Would a VSO or the DAV help me on this. If so where do I find them?

Thanks

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

what pisses me off a friend of mine that was in a rear supply area got 50% and saw combat once.....

Disability percentages for mental health disabilities are figured by how it effects you today.

Doesn't matter if you were in one skirmish or 1000.

The "friend" that was in the rear with the gear, is possibly experiencing more problems with PTSD

than you - or his decision maker saw things in his medical evidence that was not documented in yours.

If family is writing letters for you these MIGHT get considered as lay evidence.

Since you are already SC'd for PTSD - the ONLY good these letter's can do is to show

support as to how your PTSD effects your daily life now.

Many members here are peacetime vets or family members of vets.

We are all vets - whether peacetime or combat, or whatever the circumstance of our service.

We are vets.

Now, you are but a vet - a liability to the VA, as we all are.

• HadIt.com Elder

you should not be mad because the other vet got 50% and you only got 30% jealousy gets you nowhere I watched it with my ex wife's Uncle he was mad about a neighbor who was TDIU and living a good life off his VA and SSD check and "Uncle" didn't think it was fair after all all the neighbor did was ride around on a helicopter as a door gunner, it wasn't like he was a combat engineer like Uncle was so Uncle spent the next 5 years going to group filing a PTSD claim and getting mad because his claim was denied over and over again due to a lack of a verifiable stressor he went to group religiously every time he heard a new symptom he developed it and worse than the 1st vet he made life hell for everyone

I would have hated to see his reaction when he was told I was rated 100% P&T for PTSD since we and ex #3 are divorced I haven't seen the Uncle in a long time.

base your appeal on how bad your symptoms affect your life not on the fact another vet is getting more than you are you need to substantiate your loss income, your loss of quality of life, the things you no longer can do because of how your PTSD affects you you can't claim you can't stand to be in crowds due to insecurity then tell the C&P examiner you had a great time at Disney world last week if you are unable to work or go to school because of your PTSD then you should be higher than 30% then again if you have no problems or have no problems going to school maybe you do fit the criteria for the 30% rating only you can decide that does your symptoms meet the scale for the higher percentages or did they rate you correctly? forget what anyone else got put your symptoms into the scale and see what you would have rated yourself at

I found my current rep by searching online for DAV nearest me. You can get them to help or like mentioned there are different reps at VA outpatient clinics that can help you also.

You might also consider looking up what the differences are for the symptoms to get 50% compared to 30% and see if you have them. If so, write up a statement in support of claim saying why you deserve the 50% rating and provide your evidence that supports this.

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the responses. I wouldnt say I'm jeleous of the friend of mine that was awarded 50% but he is a social party animal and he is the one always telling me how much ive changed and become anti social and afraid of leaving the house. He will be the first to tell anyone that I have been way more affected than he was. I guess thats how things work out sometimes.

Is my NOD that I have in now sufficient or do I need to fill out anything else? Whats the next step? Do I wait to see the DRO?

Thanks to all

What you need to do is to make sure that when you go to your mental health appointments, that you find a way to tell the doctor everything. You need to make sure that your condition is written in your records. VA may or may not give a lot of weight to lay statements but they will have to consider what your current treatment records show. Your records must show that you have social and occupational impairments or some type of deficiencies that are documented by a psychiatrist. Evidence is what win claims and get certain ratings, the more evidence you can get the better your rating will be.