VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Lets Not Forget We Are All Vietnam Vets

Rate this question

stillhere

Question

I have noticed this for a while and wanted to kind of post my feelings on this. Some seem to feel a little bit or animosity toward vets that did file for IHD in the past and stand to reap a large sum of money. Money does not and will never replace my health or my feelings toward my fellow brothers of the Vietnam war! We all know what we went through over there and of course when we got back.

To those that suffered and filed and are going to get a rather large retro I say good for you! To those that suffered and did not file either because you did not know or did not want to I say I am sorry and wish things were different.

We all know suffering from heart disease that is why I feel blessed that it did not really hit me until 03 and in 05 I survived my first heart attack. Now I like a lot of those suffer from the can'ts or should I say don't dos. My wife babys me and almost anything I do that causes stress or exertion I have to limit/watch myself. Not a good way to live but I am alive.

Before the heart disease there was really not a task or anything I would not do or at least try. Talk about a life change!

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

This seems to be true. I was diagnosed with heart disease in 1999 but didn't file until October 2009 for IHD. Actually, I didn't file my first claim with the VA until January of 2009 because I didn't have a clue that you could. No one ever told me about compensation benefits. I just happened to be talking to a friend of my brothers and he mentioned the compensation he was getting for tinnitus. I told him," You've got to be kidding." I've had that ever since I got back from Nam.

As veterans, we need to get the word out to our fellow brothers and sisters about the help that is available. We all know that the VA isn't going to send you a letter or give you a call and tell you anything.

I recently went to a Veterans Reunion and the sign at the front gate reads as follows: "This is a healing field, Not a Fighting Field."

Hopefully this forum will be the same.

Jeff

I agree we should inform every Vet we come across. My husband and I met a Vet with prostate cancer, he had lost his job and was paying all his medical costs out of pocket. When we first talked to him, he wanted nothing to do with the VA. We kept talking, offerred to go with him to the local VSO. We got his parents involved and with all the coaxing and encouragement he finally went. Long story short, he filed and was awarded 100%. We stopped by the other day and he was raving about how well they are treating him and how nice they have been to him. Not all RO's and clnics are the same, but the one in Tulsa and Muskogee are great. When my ex husband was in the Muskogee hospital and was refusing help because of PTSD and alcholism, I emailed Jim Strickland about him and I called a VSO on the hospital floor to please go see him and see if they could talk him into seeking more help. Ex-husband, but still another Viet Nam Vet and a human being that my daughter's were extremely worried about. We should all lend a hand and I hope you all get every penny and help you deserve. Almost here Vets.

• HadIt.com Elder

What gets me is the VA does not do outreach to sick vets. You have to find out via grapevine. I get a AO Registry letter every year and that is it. Has every vet gotten a letter from VA inviting them to come to the VA for a baseline examination? Of course not. That would cost money.

This seems to be true. I was diagnosed with heart disease in 1999 but didn't file until October 2009 for IHD. Actually, I didn't file my first claim with the VA until January of 2009 because I didn't have a clue that you could. No one ever told me about compensation benefits. I just happened to be talking to a friend of my brothers and he mentioned the compensation he was getting for tinnitus. I told him," You've got to be kidding." I've had that ever since I got back from Nam.

As veterans, we need to get the word out to our fellow brothers and sisters about the help that is available. We all know that the VA isn't going to send you a letter or give you a call and tell you anything.

I recently went to a Veterans Reunion and the sign at the front gate reads as follows: "This is a healing field, Not a Fighting Field."

Hopefully this forum will be the same.

Jeff

Jeff,

My disability isn't IHD related but if not for a complete stranger who took the time to listen to me and recognize that I qualified for VA care & compensation, I would still be out there. I was in 'Nam in '70-'71 and had no awareness of how the VA could help me, either medically or thru compensation until '07.

I agree that we need to help each other all we can.

Edited by chr49