VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ophthalmic Migraines

Rate this question

P3IFT62

Question

I had my C&P physical 2 weeks ago. While I was there I saw an eye surgeon about when I had gasoline in both eyes. that turns out to be nothing but I describe a symtom I have been having since the early 90's. He tells me that what I am having are ophthalmic migraines. this is referenced in my medical records while on active duty but was misdiagnosed by the doctors. He added it to my claim as he found the instances in my medical records. what kind of rating can you get for this. I have the episodes at least once a month which is what I told the C&P examiner.

Also in the claim

Bilateral knee pain with arthritus diagnosed during active duty with xrays.

Left knee torn meniscus with surgery to cut out the tear during active duty

Lower right maxilary sinus rupture and deviated septum with chronic siusitus on active duty

Right shoulder injury to rotator cuff during active duty which causes pain and limits raising my arm up to the side

Any ideas how these may be rated?

Paul

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

Visual distortion. I get like a blind spot directly in the center of my vision. As it passes it opens up to more like a tunnel and slowly fades out of view. also mild headache pain with it. My Navy flight surgeon said thy were caused by my sinus problems putting pressure on optic nerves. The eye surgeon said they are kinda rare and navy doc just did'nt realize what they were.

What are your symptoms. I am diagnosed with them also.

Migraines max out at 50% and I believe they go in increments of 10, 30, and 50. Documentation is key when filing a claim for Migraines. Here is the worksheet the Examiners use when doing/completing the Examination. I'm currently 50% for Migraines - every time I had one in the Service, I went to the ER (including civilian hospitals)... I can't find the criteria they need to rate each percentage.

Neurological Disorders, Miscellaneous

(Migraine, Tic, Paramyoclonus Multiplex, Sydenham's and Huntington's Chorea, and Athetosis)

Name: SSN:

Date of Exam: C-number:

Place of Exam:

A. Review of Medical Records:

B. Medical History (Subjective Complaints):

Comment on:

1. Onset and course - If flare-ups exist, describe precipitating factors, aggravating factors, alleviating factors, alleviating medications, frequency, severity, duration, and whether the flare-ups include pain, weakness, fatigue or functional loss.

2. Current treatment, response, side effects.

C. Physical Examination (Objective Findings):

1. If Migraine: - Obtain the history of frequency and duration of attacks and description of level of activity the veteran can maintain during the attacks. For example, state if the attacks are prostrating in nature or if ordinary activity is possible.

2. If Tics and Paramyoclonus Complex: - Ascertain the muscle group(s) involved and obtain the best possible history of frequency and severity of attacks. State the effects on daily activities.

3. If Chorea, Choreiform Disorders, etc.: - Describe manifestations by impairment of strength, coordination, tremor, etc., with particular attention to the effects of the performance of ordinary activities of daily living.

D. Diagnostic and Clinical Tests:

1. Include results of all diagnostic and clinical tests conducted in the examination report.

E. Diagnosis:

All Headaches are handled under Diagnostic Code 8100 Migraine Headache.

Very frequent and completely prostrating and prolonged attacks productive of severe economic in-adaptability warrant assignment of a 50 percent evaluation.

Where there are characteristic prostrating attacks occurring on an average of once a month over several months, a 30 percent evaluation is warranted.

Where there are characteristic prostrating attacks averaging one in two months over several months, a 10 percent evaluation is warranted.

Where attacks are less frequent, a zero percent evaluation is warranted.

I have 30% for cluster headaches and while I get them way more than on average of once a month over several months I have an understanding employer and am able to hold down a job so I never get to the "severe economic in-adaptability" needed for 50%. Although I have seen people who have gotten 50% simply on the sheer number of headaches you have to be willing to challenge and wait. Do your research and make sure you have a good headache log history. That really seemed to help me move from 10% to 30%.

Good Luck