VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Adhd/learning Disabilities

Rate this question

Papa

Question

I have seen a few web-sites that seem to link AO with ADHD/Learaning Disabilities. Is their any link?

Papa

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I think the only AO birth defect or genetic disorder the VA admits is spina bifida. There are many cases in Vietnam of children born to Vietnamese who have awful birth defects. The VA ignores such findings as does our government in general. We are responsible for those injuries since we dumped AO on S. Vietnamese civilians and not on N.Vietnam. The US government does not want to pay for the injuries to Vietnamese as this would also mean they would have pressure to pay for US military offspring as well. It is not about science but about money.

You know it would be very interesting to know how many AO Vietnam Veterans that have children with ADHD, learning disabilities and/or other mental health issues. But, like John said, it is not about science, but money. It would, however, be nice to know. Maybe, we could do a survey on this web-site.

Papa

You make a good point- it is the Commonality factor and one reason there are no Project SHAD presumptives.

The post that I made that was deleted contained some info which is here:

Basically it was a post as to Spinal Bifida in children of Vietnam Vets as well as birth defects in children of Female Vietnam Vets:

http://www4.va.gov/hac/forbeneficiaries/spina/spina.asp

And I also had info from Hanoi News as to their problems with all sorts of disabilities in children in Vietnam that the Vietnamese attribute to the use of AO.

John is right and the true extent of what AO has done is found in Vietnam.

As far as I know we have no real liasons with the medical community of Vietnam nor their statistics regarding learning problems, mental health issues and physical problems due to AO in their children as well as their veterans.

Other sites on the net have raised these issues as to birth defects and learning problems in children of Vietnam Veterans.

Somehow if the commonality factor could be assessed with a documented study as to how many children of Vietnam Vets do have ADHD then perhaps a congressman or Senator out there would propose a bill advancing some benefits for these children.

That would go for SHAD vets as well as jet fuel vets, et cetera.

They would also need probative and top notch medical input.

But John is again correct here:

"There is no presumptive link, but that does not mean there isn't one. If the VA is not looking for such a link they will never find it and they are not looking. You know the VA does not do its own research on agent orange. They wait for the IOM to do it. Who funds AO research? I don't think AO victims are a high priority for the funders."

IOM holds the definitive word on AO disabilities.

Anyone familiar with IOMs work knows how long they take to consider any new AO presumptive.Many vets die in the process.

I have been reading IHD widows claims at the BVA wondering how these widows will be contacted by the VA to re-open under Nehmer.

What really hurts is that most children of Vietnam Veterans are 30-40 years old themselves. My youngest son is 35 and has suffered from ADHD, learning disabilities and other emotional issues. I hate to think that my service in Vietnam caused this.

Papa

What really hurts is that most children of Vietnam Veterans are 30-40 years old themselves. My youngest son is 35 and has suffered from ADHD, learning disabilities and other emotional issues. I hate to think that my service in Vietnam caused this.

Papa

I can tell you all 3 of our children have ADHD/ADD & have struggled with depression & one son has essential tremors which

has made it difficult for him to be employed. I've always wondered if a connection could be there but of course have no way of knowing.

My DIC claim has been re-opened for IHD so will notify this forum when it comes together.

Thank you to all veterans for your service. God Bless you.

Deceasedvet husband,

I'm real sorry to hear about your children, and yes my son also has essential tremors also. Before Vietnam, I did not have tremors, but now I'm like an earth quake.

Papa