VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Agent Orange

tyson123

Question

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Haven't read it all yet Jerrel but this stuff is really Dated!

For example on Page 2 of the Memorandum:

"Dioxin persistence

Dioxin is frequently described as a persistent compound. However, there is a difference between

dioxin accumulation in the food chain and dioxin in the environment. When a herbicide is

applied to green plants, most of the dioxin that may be present in it sticks to plant matter where it

is photo-degraded and never reaches the soil (Nathan). Soil tests taken over a ten year period in

an Agent Orange test area showed a 99% reduction in dioxin concentrations in soil (Young)."

They mean the Alvin Young letters (Young)

Dioxin is a Persistent Organic Pollutant-when we had Commander Wells (he is also vets lawyer) I discussed this with him at SVR radio-

A POP,as scientists calls these pollutants, was part of the last AMU course I took , showing how dioxin can store in the fatty tissues of birds (my theory is since it can be it stored in sea birds-that then their feces infected sailors aboard ships in the 7th fleet.)

That might sound half baked but a few vets here said I was being ridiculous years ago when I believed AO plumed over the Pacific and went into the wind stream patterns.

That has since been found as a possibility.

The Hatfield Report (I posted link here in 2007-I think) totally reveals Young's "soil test" premise is incorrect.

Danang's soil levels of dioxon, when the Hatfield study was done, was found to be 300 times higher at the old air base then what the levels were during the War.

They probably didn't even have a good way to measure the dioxin then anyhow.

If a veteran can prove confirmed exposure to AO by virtue of their MOS along the specific part of the pipeline -during the specific time frame AO was used there-

and if they have a AO presumptive disability- they should certainly file a claim.

There are cases at BVA that show what they are up against:

http://www4.va.gov/vetapp09/files5/0944787.txt

AO exposure Alaska

on Remand for JSRRC info

http://www4.va.gov/vetapp07/files2/0717111.txt

detailed denial

The DOD info in this denial is more recent than the Report that referenced the Young papers.

Edited by Berta