VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Why Do I Have To Enroll In Every State I Go To

Rate this topic

Any VA can look at my records on the computer.

But- in every state I go to, the VA says I have to "enroll" to get care (if you don't want to spend a shift in the ER).

Enrollment is a weeks or months-long process where you have to be assigned to a team, then have appointments for NP, Dr or whatever before getting appointments for specialty clinics or other care.

Additionally, the Arizona VA said I'll need to bring 2009 tax return. Does a 100% disabled vet need to do this?

Why is it so complicated?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

VA enrollment also allows health care benefits to become completely portable throughout the entire VA health care system. Enrolled Veterans who are traveling or who spend time away from their primary treatment facility may obtain care at any VA health care facility across the country without the worry of having to reapply. Veterans with a service-connected condition may receive treatment for that condition even in a foreign country (see Foreign Medical Program).

http://www4.va.gov/healtheligibility/Library/pubs/HealthCareOverview/

I would copy this from their web site and take it to the hospital and hold their feet to the fire.

• 1 year later...

The reason is simply the privacy act. VHA facilities cannot view your record until you register in their network. If you provide full legal name, birth day, full ssn, place of birth, sc rating, mother's maiden name, and city of birth the registration staff can begin to pull your data. Once you do they can retrieve your information via remote data. They may ask for additional information because the system slowly pulls your information. This is actually the same at private hospitals where you fill out a registration form the first time you visit. If you go to St. Mary's Hospital in California, you would still have to register at St. Mary's Hospital in another state.

If you are not staying their for an extended period you do not have to complete an intake appointment. Just ask to be treated as an unassigned walk-in. Individuals with scheduled appointments will be given preference, but they would work you in. Yes intakes are typically 6-8 weeks out because they are 1hr instead of 30 min blocks.

Edited by faofficer

• HadIt.com Elder

Kelly, you have just given me an idea for a Radio Show.

This seems to be a growing topic as more veterans travel about this country.

In reality when we become part of the VA system, we have to go through a means test. Then they issue an ID card,

What they should do is use that ID card at any VA,

The FIOA and HIPPA are just excuses as the VA is considered one entity and there is electronic data available within the VA's entities.

Actually this is mere red tape that needs to be streamlined. I believe I can inquire about it at a higher level which I plan to do.

Hang in there traveling man. Folks like you and Terry Sturgis inspire me as you have the ability to travel.

Basser