VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Why Do I Have To Enroll In Every State I Go To

Rate this topic

Thanks, Basser.

Travelin is slowin down as the truck & I have more maintenance issues wink.png I'm taking it in this morning for a lil fix.

Really wanted to hear anniversary show but it's tough for me to catch em.

I'm transitioning to Medicare more for care. Just got CPAP supplies mailed right to me with no hassle. Sure, there's a little copay but less than the diesel burned & frustration jumping thru hoops.

A couple issues for traveling vets are getting meds mailed and obtaining care at a VA hospital.

I use a mail forwarder service if I'm on the move and then pay them to ship meds where I'm at.

They also scan my mail so I can read it online.

http://www.earthclassmail.com/ if anyone is interested.

If I'm renting a place for months then I can use that address.

CBOC's (local clinics) won't take walk-ins, so your only option is to go to ER at hospital.

People familiar with that know it will be all day to be seen if you're not dying.

Feel free to post or PM me if anyone has traveling questions.

Have fun!

kelly

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

Try getting dental care at various VAMC's on a walk-in basis. I bet they guard that service like Ft Knox. So much for "seamless care" through out the VA health care system. I bet they are guarding their individual budgets and discouraging traveling vets from dipping into their money pot. I have lived in the same place for 25 years and VA has managed to get my address screwed up at least three times.

John

Every VA Medical Systemn has to manage its own budget. A large percentage of its budget is based on the number of veterans it treats, and the level of care provided. When a vet moves from one System to another, the gaining system does what it needs to do so that it is reimbursed for the care provided. If the vet is transferring primary care to the new system, the initial exam with a new PCP is a "vesting" exam.

As a VA provider, I can't access a vet's medical data from other VA Systems until that vet enrolls for care in my system. As a veteran and VA patient, I want to keep it that way.

Even to walk-in to a VA dental clinic for urgent care, the vet needs to enroll in the System of the dental clinic. By doing so, the System will receive some reimbursement for the emergency care. Having a PCP assigned, and having avesting exam is NOT required to access VA dental care.

VA enrollment also allows health care benefits to become completely portable throughout the entire VA health care system. Enrolled Veterans who are traveling or who spend time away from their primary treatment facility may obtain care at any VA health care facility across the country without the worry of having to reapply. Veterans with a service-connected condition may receive treatment for that condition even in a foreign country (see Foreign Medical Program).

http://www4.va.gov/h...thCareOverview/

I would copy this from their web site and take it to the hospital and hold their feet to the fire.

Ditto on sharon's post.

The VAMC's need to get it together and implement the above with consistency.

There should be absolutely no difficulties for a veteran to access their VA health care

benefits anywhere in the USA.

Last year I was on the road - out of my home state - was transported by ambulance to the

nearest VAMC - and that VAMC - ER, did not want to provide services - BS on that.

In regards to- "the gaining system does what it needs to do so that it is reimbursed for the care provided."

IMO - This should not have any negative effect a veteran receiving their medical care in a timely manner,

irregardless of what type of care and where they are needing to access medical care and services.

Provide the medical services needed and let the VA figure out the dollars and doughnuts in the background.

The vet should not have to be concerned at all with the responsibilities of the VA Medical System, in managing their budget.

JMHO

• HadIt.com Elder

Every VA Medical Systemn has to manage its own budget. A large percentage of its budget is based on the number of veterans it treats, and the level of care provided. When a vet moves from one System to another, the gaining system does what it needs to do so that it is reimbursed for the care provided. If the vet is transferring primary care to the new system, the initial exam with a new PCP is a "vesting" exam.

As a VA provider, I can't access a vet's medical data from other VA Systems until that vet enrolls for care in my system. As a veteran and VA patient, I want to keep it that way.

Even to walk-in to a VA dental clinic for urgent care, the vet needs to enroll in the System of the dental clinic. By doing so, the System will receive some reimbursement for the emergency care. Having a PCP assigned, and having avesting exam is NOT required to access VA dental care.

Sounds like a personal problem to me. Next.