Ads Keep HadIt.com Online. Consider Turning Off Ad Blockers to Keep HadIt.com Online! ×

Insomnia

Louie

Question

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

10 answers to this question

Insomnia standing alone as a claimed condition- has to be related to another disabling condidition- such as depression, anxiety, sleep aphnea etc-

"an assessment of insomnia alone, absent a diagnosed

or identifiable underlying pathology or condition, is

insufficient to constitute a disability for which service

connection can be granted"

This claim is interesting- the veteran claimed his insomnia is from his service connected tinnitus- yet the VA said the claim was "not well grounded" under regs at that time-and the vet had no medical evidence to support the tinnitus -insomnia link.

Should I NOD -

Absolutely-

it might take a letter from the wife or significant other- to support this as current problem-

Also -could the insomnia also be due to any of the meds you take as a side affect?

The C&P eval report says that I currently have severe sleep disorder as a side effect of my fibromyalgia. Do you think I'll still need another witness?

Will the insomnia be rated seperate or combined with a previous S/C condition (Anxiety,depression, etc)?

Good question -

I bet they would combine it-

I wonder how much money the VA saves on the issue of combined ratings-I never see the point of that-

This is interesting-just found it

direct SC for insomnia-no other SC

http://www.va.gov/vetapp97/files2/9717351.txt

But no idea how they rated this- and as I read it, it made me angry- this vet most probably has other disabilities from all that service- which he did not claim-

and maybe his insomnia is due to the stressful events he must have witnessed- but no one at VA probably even suggested that he might have problems more serious than the insomnia.

Or maybe the vet doesn't want any psychiatric comp award. ???

• HadIt.com Elder

Berta

I suffer extreme insomnia due to pain medications I take through the VA. I have to take sleeping pills just about 4-5 times a week. Would the condition I take the pain meds have to be SC for me to get SC'ed for the insomnia? Some of my pain conditions are SC and some are not.

I feel they would have to be SC meds John-

I read quite a few of the insomnia claims at the BVA today and they sure try to consider it as a symptom but not as a disability-

The vet in that BVA case that they gave direct SC for regarding insomnia had two enlistments and:

"Among his

commendations, the veteran was awarded the Southwest Asia

Service Medal with three bronze service stars, the Kuwait

Liberation Medal and the National Defense Service Medal with

one bronze star."

He claimed no direct combat , but was in Scud attack alerts and was surely in support of ops there.

The insomnia was in his SMRs too.

seems to but would they include it with the overall fibromyglia rating or give it separate 10%?

38 CFR 4.71a (1999) (DC 5025 2004)

5025 Fibromyalgia (fibrositis, primary fibromyalgia syndrome)

With widespread musculoskeletal pain and tender points, with

or without associated fatigue, sleep disturbance, stiffness,

paresthesias, headache, irritable bowel symptoms, depression,

anxiety, or Raynaud's-like symptoms:

That are constant, or nearly so, and refractory to therapy.. 40

That are episodic, with exacerbations often precipitated by 20

environmental or emotional stress or by overexertion, but

that are present more than one-third of the time...........

That require continuous medication for control.............. 10

Note: Widespread pain means pain in both the left and right

sides of the body, that is both above and below the waist,

and that affects both the axial skeleton (i.e., cervical

spine, anterior chest, thoracic spine, or low back) and the

extremities.