VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Imo - Incompetency

Rate this question

JaxVet

Question

My private doctor has agreed to see my husband and write the IMO to contest the incompetency proposal from the VA. Before we head in there, I'm just wondering if there is a format or special wording the letter needs to have? I thought I had seen a sample letter before, but I can't seem to find it now.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice!!

• HadIt.com Elder

Up and until I was able to get my bi-polar under control, I was "incompentent". I'd do alright when I was "depressed" but when I was "manic" I'd buy anything.......seriously.....with NO concept about my ability to pay for whatever it was........heck, I was "on top of the world", "the life of the party", etc. (you don't believe me? I've got a Beechcraft Bonanza fer sale!)!

Fortunately, I was treated for my disease and was able to realize my "shortcomings" and gave my partner-in-life control of my finances, and, heck, it worked so well that I have NO DESIRE to "be the boss" when it comes to money, even though I am no longer manic! (heck, I've got money in the bank, for a change!).

Although, I must say, I had a blast being irresponsible! ..............until the bills came in!

Just be REALLY SURE that your husband is ACTUALLY "competent" before fighting the ruling!

Up and until I was able to get my bi-polar under control, I was "incompentent". I'd do alright when I was "depressed" but when I was "manic" I'd buy anything.......seriously.....with NO concept about my ability to pay for whatever it was........heck, I was "on top of the world", "the life of the party", etc. (you don't believe me? I've got a Beechcraft Bonanza fer sale!)!

Fortunately, I was treated for my disease and was able to realize my "shortcomings" and gave my partner-in-life control of my finances, and, heck, it worked so well that I have NO DESIRE to "be the boss" when it comes to money, even though I am no longer manic! (heck, I've got money in the bank, for a change!).

Although, I must say, I had a blast being irresponsible! ..............until the bills came in!

Just be REALLY SURE that your husband is ACTUALLY "competent" before fighting the ruling!

I do not believe his issues rise to the point of incompetency, especially considering the ramifications of such a ruling. As of right now, he is fighting the ruling. That decision has changed a couple of times since we received the rating, but after learning what effects the incompetency ruling would have outside the VA, he has determined to fight the incompetency as long as possible.

I am however, very glad the payee program has helped you. It sounds like it was a blessing in disguise for you.

• HadIt.com Elder

One thing I did not mention but if he has to have a payee make sure it is you or someone who has the Veterans issues at heart. Over the years we have seen many who have been abused when VA appoints one of their cronies to manage a Veterans money and there is also another problem. I don't know the exact regulation but if a Veteran who is incompetent dies any money that is in the Vets estate that is VA money has to be returned.

Also part of competency is making good decisions so your husband can be competent and you can still manage the money.

One thing I did not mention but if he has to have a payee make sure it is you or someone who has the Veterans issues at heart. Over the years we have seen many who have been abused when VA appoints one of their cronies to manage a Veterans money and there is also another problem. I don't know the exact regulation but if a Veteran who is incompetent dies any money that is in the Vets estate that is VA money has to be returned.

Also part of competency is making good decisions so your husband can be competent and you can still manage the money.

Thanks Pete. That's actually what we're going for. I currently handle the finances (but only since just recently). If it comes to the point that a payee/fiduciary has to be appointed, we would hope that would be me. I already have a limited POA as well as medical POA. The last thing we want is someone appointed from a VA list or what have you.

• HadIt.com Elder

I do not believe his issues rise to the point of incompetency, especially considering the ramifications of such a ruling. As of right now, he is fighting the ruling. That decision has changed a couple of times since we received the rating, but after learning what effects the incompetency ruling would have outside the VA, he has determined to fight the incompetency as long as possible.

I am however, very glad the payee program has helped you. It sounds like it was a blessing in disguise for you.

I'm not in the "payee program"..................I was the one that appointed my wife to watch over our money. A mutual decision based upon trust in each other........she trusted me to spend it, ALL of it......I trusted her NOT TO! :rolleyes:

I'm not in the "payee program"..................I was the one that appointed my wife to watch over our money. A mutual decision based upon trust in each other........she trusted me to spend it, ALL of it......I trusted her NOT TO! :rolleyes:

Well, in that case, kudos to you for coming to that conclusion before it was too late. I think that's how we'll end up, but we'd rather it be our decision, not forced upon us by the powers that be at the VA. :rolleyes:

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use