VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Champ Va Spouse ?

Rate this question

Charleese

Question

Hi all,

Does Champ VA cover all of a spouse's medical care? Example: VA Doctor visits or Private Doctor visits, prescriptions, X-rays, eye care, dental, etc. In other words does a spouse get taken care of at the VA the same as her husband vet gets taken care of, through the VA or Private Doctor.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

CHAMPVA will treat dependents at any participating VAMC=but best to check with the facility first = under the requirements and criteria here:

http://www4.va.gov/hac/forbeneficiaries/champva/faqs.asp

Medicare eligible CHAMPVA recipients have to have Medicare part A and B if age 65 under the dates in this criteria.

This is a fabulous program.

My Medicare pays first then CHAMPVA kicks in.

I use CHAMPVA for my meds and didn't need to get Medicare Part D.

Never have had a single problem with this program.

When you enroll into CHAMPVA which can be done on line at their site I believe-they will send you a booklet that explains the benefits.

I take one prescribed med, retail at 35.00 but my co pay is only 4.42 except for once a year when I pay the deductible.

SVR radio has done 2 shows with a VA CHAMPVA expert and the shows are available here under the SVR links to archives.

He gave us much good info on this great program.

• HadIt.com Elder

Call Champ VA at 1-800-733-8387 and they will

gladly walk you through it all.

They are supposed to provide excellent service.

They are really quite excellent.

My wife's been treted very well by them.

I personally think that CHAMPVA is the BEST benefit that a veteran's spouse can get, and one of the most effective benefits that is available through the VA.

And, as for the treatment of a veteran's spouse at the local VA Medical Center, here is the scoop on that:

The CHAMPVA Inhouse Treatment Initiative (CITI) pronounced "city" is a voluntary program that allows for the treatment of CHAMPVA beneficiaries at VA medical centers.

More information about the CITI program is available at: http://www.va.gov/hac/forbeneficiaries/champva/citi.asp

• HadIt.com Elder

Medicare Impact

CHAMPVA is always the secondary payer to Medicare. If you are eligible for CHAMPVA, under age 65 and enrolled in both Medicare Parts A&B, SSA documentation of enrollment in both Parts A&B is required.

For your benefits to be extended past age 65, you must meet the following conditions:

•if the beneficiary was 65 or older prior to June 5, 2001, and was otherwise eligible for CHAMPVA, and was entitled to Medicare Part A coverage, then the beneficiary will be eligible for CHAMPVA without having to have Medicare Part B coverage.

•if you turned 65 on/or before June 5, 2001, and have Medicare Parts A and B, you must keep both Parts to be eligible.

•if you turned 65 on or after June 5, 2001, you must be enrolled in Medicare Parts A and B to be eligible.

•you are not required to enroll in Medicare Part D in order to become or remain CHAMPVA eligible.