VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

World News, Va Theft Of Data Included 2.5m Active Duty

Rate this question

RockyA1911

Question

Why or how would the VA have the records of active duty personnel. Active Duty personnel are not VETERANS! From my almost 11 years in the Corps I do know that HQ Marine Corps holds the records for all active duty Marines and those records stay with the Corps until such time the Marine is discharged. Same for Army, Navy, and Air Force except their records are held by their respective proponent service.

After discharge from service the records/file is sent to the National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis and archived.

At this time the VA has no knowledge of your file or records unless you filed a claim, requested your records from St. Louis and sent them to the VA.

So the question is "What in the hell is the VA doing with active military personnel data in the first place, and how in the hell or what policy allows them to have and keep data on active duty personnel?"

This just doesn't jive with me.

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Guest morgan
So the question is "What in the hell is the VA doing with active military personnel data in the first place, and how in the hell or what policy allows them to have and keep data on active duty personnel?"

This was my first thought when I heard the news. What is going on!

Active duty members use the MGIB and VA guarantees for home loans. Many of the 2.5 mill were reservists and national guard.

Why or how would the VA have the records of active duty personnel. Active Duty personnel are not VETERANS! From my almost 11 years in the Corps I do know that HQ Marine Corps holds the records for all active duty Marines and those records stay with the Corps until such time the Marine is discharged. Same for Army, Navy, and Air Force except their records are held by their respective proponent service.

After discharge from service the records/file is sent to the National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis and archived.

At this time the VA has no knowledge of your file or records unless you filed a claim, requested your records from St. Louis and sent them to the VA.

• HadIt.com Elder

You know active duty are being treated at VA hospitals. In Tampa there is a special ward for severely wounded active duty. I see active duty coming and going at the Tampa VAMC. That kind of grabs me since I cannot go to the base five miles from my house my medical treatment. I have seen active duty getting physical therapy at the VAMC.

• HadIt.com Elder

I have less of a problem with active duty as opposed to Tri Care Family membgers going to the VA so that they don't have to pay co pays

You know active duty are being treated at VA hospitals. In Tampa there is a special ward for severely wounded active duty. I see active duty coming and going at the Tampa VAMC. That kind of grabs me since I cannot go to the base five miles from my house my medical treatment. I have seen active duty getting physical therapy at the VAMC.

I have less of a problem with active duty as opposed to Tri Care Family membgers going to the VA so that they don't have to pay co pays

This is misinformation. Family members of retired Veterans, tricare or otherwise, are not entitled to med care at VAMC's. If Retired military yes. They must meet the means test and pay co-pays like all Veterans unless being seen for service connected medical problems.