VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Timing A Dro Request?

Rate this question

john49

Question

I received a rating decision dated Sept 22, 2010 granting 30% PTSD. I already had 10% tinnitus, 0% hearing. On Sept 29 I submitted additional information on the PTSD claim and asked for a reconsideration of the 30%. The RO has been pretty quick with handling everything so far. Question: Do I have 60 days from the original rating decision (Nov 21) to request a DRO or would it be 60 days from a response to my request for reconsideration? Thanks

John49

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

In the decision letter, they should have listed the evidence that they used in reaching their decision. Make sure you compare what they list with the evidence you are holding. You can also do a line by line analysis of their reasons to make sure that they address the evidence that is listed. This is particularly important if various doctors issue competing/opposing opinions.

sheila

There is really no such thing as tipping your hand. You win claims with evidence. The sooner you get it to the VA the sooner you win. The VA presents their case and you use that information to gather evidence to rebutt it. That is the logical way to do it, but even logic does not work all the time. Persistence is what works.

I think they actually do hold a secret hand, hold some cards, and you have to guess what those cards are.. if you don't use the secret words they deny you... hard to find the secret words, expecially if you are just poor sick disabled vet who is trying to write down the horror they go through, only ot have some cold hearted beurocrat sitting behind a desk playing word games..

if you use the wrong word, you are screwed..

and since you not a mind reader, you have no idea what they are thinking and what the rules are..

example: you think they know your job description and the full duties, but they don't either that, or they never look up the job descritption. You have no way of knowing they don't know the job, yet they are determining what you did or didn't do dpending on what they know or don't know. It a feaking shell game..

Edited by retiredat44

I have the same issue listed in this post. I filed for disability on 7 issues...I filed 6 NOD's and I attached statements of claims for each of them after getting my rating decision back from the VA. I called the VA to ensure that my NOD's had been received within the 60 day period...the rep that I talked to said they only had one of the 6 NOD's...I told the rep the decisions that I want reconsideration on and they even gave me a confirmation number...I was told that a rating officer will contact me within 5 to 7 business days...that was nearly a month ago and I haven't heard anything from the VA yet...my VSO who helped me said he stapled all 6 NOD's together, so if the VA got one then they must have all six...

Is this how things normally go??? also, from reading this blog...it seems that I had better watch the clock to be sure my year doesn't laspe..but what else can I do???

James

• HadIt.com Elder

Wait! Did you get 6 separate rating decisions on 6 different dates? I am not sure why you filed 6 separate NOD's unless the decisions were on different dates. If you were denied on 6 issues in a decision you don't have to file 6 NOD's. You file one NOD and explain that you disagree with all decisions in the rating of xx/xx/xxxx.

I messed it up then...

I filed the 6 NOD's and sent statement of claims on each. I thought I had to do that to address each issue..my VSO didn't advise otherwise either...

The VA has my stuff..I called to check on it and the rep I spoke with said someone tried to call me but couldn't get through or leave me a message...The rep read a note that asked which appeal I wanted...one of the choices was an interview/meeting with the DRO...I think I will take that one, I remember reading something on here that the DRO meeting was the best option before going on...any advice???