VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Testosterone Supplementation, When To Use It?

Rate this topic

JonesZen, according to E's lab results the figures you mentioned should be in the 241-827 range. I think maybe the 84-402 would be in my range( you know the better half) as E's wife.

I wonder why E's lab uses that range, when the lab I go to specifies such a lower range. Assuming they are both VA labs, I would think they would use the same numbers. I wonder who is the entity responsible for deciding these ranges, why they vary so greatly, and who I can use as a definitive source to present to the VA to support my case. Rhetorical question, I imagine...

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

Cause the VA is a cheap bastard when it comes to spending money on Veterans. At least most of the time you can always get curve ball thrown in to knock you off your game.

One comment if the VA is right to much testosterone can also cause problems. Look at the illegal use of steroids as an example.

I wonder why E's lab uses that range, when the lab I go to specifies such a lower range. Assuming they are both VA labs, I would think they would use the same numbers. I wonder who is the entity responsible for deciding these ranges, why they vary so greatly, and who I can use as a definitive source to present to the VA to support my case. Rhetorical question, I imagine...

It's my understanding that the values have been changed recently as far as ranges go. E uses the VA in Lexington, KY. I have no idea why there would be discrepancies between any labs since they should all have the same baseline. As far as getting your PCP to go along with you I suggest that you appeal to his heart ( you know say something like, "I know that you want to do the right thing for me and I do appreciate you very much". Always appeal to their soft side. Don't you all laugh that's what I did for E when we needed a Residual Functional Capacity Questionnaire filled out. Hey sometimes you have to suck-up!! It's better than not getting anything done at all. Another suggestion is complain about your bladder or maybe voice your concern about your prostate bothering you. I bet that will get you a referral. If none of this works try your patient advocate. It does not work to your advantage to be confrontational. Testosterone IS necessary for the body to function properly as everything has a domino effect if not in the right proportions. If this helps I'm glad, if not we'll think of something else.

Carolyn

It's my understanding that the values have been changed recently as far as ranges go. E uses the VA in Lexington, KY. I have no idea why there would be discrepancies between any labs since they should all have the same baseline. As far as getting your PCP to go along with you I suggest that you appeal to his heart ( you know say something like, "I know that you want to do the right thing for me and I do appreciate you very much". Always appeal to their soft side. Don't you all laugh that's what I did for E when we needed a Residual Functional Capacity Questionnaire filled out. Hey sometimes you have to suck-up!! It's better than not getting anything done at all. Another suggestion is complain about your bladder or maybe voice your concern about your prostate bothering you. I bet that will get you a referral. If none of this works try your patient advocate. It does not work to your advantage to be confrontational. Testosterone IS necessary for the body to function properly as everything has a domino effect if not in the right proportions. If this helps I'm glad, if not we'll think of something else.

Carolyn

Thanks Carolyn, any bit of advice helps. I'll report later as to what happens, if anything.

• 3 weeks later...

Oldjoe, so glad that this seems to be working for you. That's what we're all here for to help others. This low testosterone level is called Hypogonadism code (ICD-9-CM 259.0). No I'm not that smart that's just what is says on E's chart. I know this will help some but I don't think it will make you feel 18 again. Ha! Ha!.

Carolyn

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, E just had another blood test ran to check out his testosterone level and when we get the results back I'll give you all a hollar to let you know if his Testim gel needs to be changed and the Dr."s reasoning behind her decision. He still has trouble with tiredness. Hey, I forgot to mention that if your wife rubs this gel on you she has to wear gloves. I didn't do that a couple of times and that was not a pleasant feeling for me! Oh, oldjoe what exactly do you eat all day? Just curious. Ha! Ha!

Carolyn