VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Abnormal Gait

Rate this question

cooter

Question

• Answers 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

You know an abnormal gait could be a cause or effect for all sorts of problems. If you have pinched nerve in your back it will make you walk funny and if you are walking with adnormal gait due to some foot problems it could affect your back. What is the cause of the abnormal gait and then you can get SC'ed for secondary conditions if you can get a doctor to go along with your reasoning. Just remember you have to prove everything with medical evidence.

In my case, I think it would be claimable as secondary to L5-s1 lumbar herniation, if it was claimable. It gets worse during flares, but my back has been rated as such since 2002. The secondary stuff creeps up over time.

CAS

You know an abnormal gait could be a cause or effect for all sorts of problems. If you have pinched nerve in your back it will make you walk funny and if you are walking with adnormal gait due to some foot problems it could affect your back. What is the cause of the abnormal gait and then you can get SC'ed for secondary conditions if you can get a doctor to go along with your reasoning. Just remember you have to prove everything with medical evidence.

In my case, I think it would be claimable as secondary to L5-s1 lumbar herniation, if it was claimable. It gets worse during flares, but my back has been rated as such since 2002. The secondary stuff creeps up over time.

CAS

Mine is from a bad knee that happened 34 years ago. I'm SC for TKR (Total Knee Replacement) since 08. Been limping for all those years and now my whole back and neck is due for surgery. Even the nerves in legs and arms are killing me.

I have had an "antalgic gait" listed in my medical records since my initial surgery on my foot while I was still on active duty. I filed for my back condition which is 3 herniated discs, repeated lumbar strains, and DDD as secondary to my service connected left foot/lower extremity condition as being caused and/or aggravated by it. I was denied on the basis that the C&P doctor said "Any connection to service related injuries would be purely speculative."

The bottom line is if you do not have an IMO or one of your doctors specifically stating in your medical records that your gait is causing/contributing to the problem, you will not get service connection for it.

I had to get a foot Dr to write my IMO saying my feet problem and gait cause my back problem.

The dr that did my back surgery didnt believe this and u can bet he did not see me no more.

Oldjoe

Hey Old Joe

Did you get awarded for your back with the IMO your Dr wrote for you?

I have had an "antalgic gait" listed in my medical records since my initial surgery on my foot while I was still on active duty. I filed for my back condition which is 3 herniated discs, repeated lumbar strains, and DDD as secondary to my service connected left foot/lower extremity condition as being caused and/or aggravated by it. I was denied on the basis that the C&P doctor said "Any connection to service related injuries would be purely speculative."

The bottom line is if you do not have an IMO or one of your doctors specifically stating in your medical records that your gait is causing/contributing to the problem, you will not get service connection for it.

Tomahawk

Did you file with a NOD with a IMO?