VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Abnormal Gait

Rate this question

cooter

Question

• Answers 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Tomahawk

Did you file with a NOD with a IMO?

I did not file a NOD yet. Im still working on getting an IMO. I cant afford one right now. And of the 5 doctors I see at the VA not one of them is willing to actually write down what they tell me. Each of them has at some point on their own or through my questioning them have said that my back issues are more than likely caused by my poor gait. Yet none will write it into my file stating they cannot be 100% sure. So until I can afford to pay an outside doctor to review my file, Im pretty much screwed.

Yes sir 20 to 40% which is currently this is how I got in 0% sc bilateral flat feet

DDD secondary to my feet.Shoulder,depression AND radiculopathy all secondary to back

Oldjoe

Good for you Joe! Did you claim for Chronic Pain on top of your injuries?

I did not claim chronic pain even though it was well doucomented in my records from PCP{VA}.

I claim depression got 30% for this. Also on asking your Dr to write your medical opion, what

I did if he wont write the opion write your own opion and ask would he agree or disagree

with your opion and would he sign this for you.Keep it short and to the point.Tell him what u

need him to say in your opion at least greater than 50% chance that this. I never paid for a

Dr opion if you are my dr than you write this opion for me or tell me why u can't. I am telling

u this from my experience with VA and my claim process what I had to do. I didn't hav the money

for an IMO so I had to depend on my doctors (VA)to work for me,treat me,and what ever I ask him

to do for my claim,&if he agree at least 50%. Also excuse me if you though I was bragging about my

claim I'M just trying to help someone with theirs.I know the struggle, been there. Oldjoe

I didn't read anything that made me think you were bragging. But just for the record, even if you was, you damn well earned the right!!! I've read quit a few of your post so I kind of know what you been going thru. Yea, I plan on getting IMO's thru my CP's and like you said, if I have to write one myself, well so be it. Thanks Joe!

Abnormal gate was the key to my success. I had bilat flat ft and an ankle injury sc. I filed for knees, hips & low back secondary to those by way of altered gate. One thing I did wrong was wear newer shoes to a C&P exam. Duh! C&P report conclusion? It said "No specific wear on shoes. No evidence of altered gait." That round was denied. (excepting 2 or three comments on such things in my records like "significant truncal shift", and "Trendelenburg lurch and a comment else where in the C&P report about "antalgic gait."

Fortunately, I wore cheap soft soled boots to work while I still could and saved them for the leather when they wore out. I happened to have 3 pair well and lop sidedly worn boots that I took a host of photos of and included in my NOD.

"...as secondary to my service connected left foot/lower extremity condition as being caused and/or aggravated by it. I was denied on the basis that the C&P doctor said "Any connection to service related injuries would be purely speculative."

That was my battle too. Nobody was denying I had those conditions, just that my sc had any responsibility for them. I waded through medical studies and things like OSHA reports indicating the connection between altered gait and my secondary conditions. Many here contend "internet print outs" don't carry any weight. But I feel they were a significant part of my success too. It still took an IMO but, it didn't hurt matters handing them over to the doc that gave me the IMO either. He cited a number of the studies in the letter he sent in. It worked for me, it just took 5 years to get to that point.

I wish you far better luck.

Abnormal gate was the key to my success. I had bilat flat ft and an ankle injury sc. I filed for knees, hips & low back secondary to those by way of altered gate. One thing I did wrong was wear newer shoes to a C&P exam. Duh! C&P report conclusion? It said "No specific wear on shoes. No evidence of altered gait." That round was denied. (excepting 2 or three comments on such things in my records like "significant truncal shift", and "Trendelenburg lurch and a comment else where in the C&P report about "antalgic gait."

Fortunately, I wore cheap soft soled boots to work while I still could and saved them for the leather when they wore out. I happened to have 3 pair well and lop sidedly worn boots that I took a host of photos of and included in my NOD.

That was my battle too. Nobody was denying I had those conditions, just that my sc had any responsibility for them. I waded through medical studies and things like OSHA reports indicating the connection between altered gait and my secondary conditions. Many here contend "internet print outs" don't carry any weight. But I feel they were a significant part of my success too. It still took an IMO but, it didn't hurt matters handing them over to the doc that gave me the IMO either. He cited a number of the studies in the letter he sent in. It worked for me, it just took 5 years to get to that point.

I wish you far better luck.

Tkank you JayG for the feed!! I been limping for 34 years due to a bad parachute landing that resulted in a bad knee and bad back. The knee pain started immediately, the back didn't really get bad untill 2 years after. BUT! Just like other Vets, my hospital treatment records just happened to be missing in my SMR,s. I've done some intense research including calling the hospital where I was treated, hired a person to search my records in St. Louis. Too many years has gone by so who knows. My feelings tell me their shredded up in a dump somewhere. They did SC my knee in 07, and had a total knee replacement in 08. They claimed I was approved by what I said on my exiting exam. So, here I am with a back and neck that need surgery (according to an Ortho I've seen once) and no proof of record. I made a post here on Hadit thinking that surely someone recieved SC for an altered gait, and getting thier feedback before I submitted a claim. I wouldn't of thought about the wear to the shoe's untill I read your post. Over the years my boot heals wore out on the outsides and the back. Is that what your's did? Any help on my claim would be appreciated.