VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Knee Pain Only-C&p Exam

Rate this question

Irish

Question

I had a knee injury on active duty in 1982 and it was recorded in my medical records. It has bothered me over the years with pain only when I climb stairs or get out of cars. Allthey did then was give me motrin. I've never claimed it, I just live with it. I'm older and heavier now and it bothers me now EVERY time I climb stairs or get out of a car. I have full movement. Can I file a claim? Will it get anywhere? Thanks

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Welcome to Hadit.

Yes you can file a claim. To win need to show the injury occurred in service and that you have a diagnosis that connects and the main thing supporting medical information. Many Vets start the process thinking of something specific and end up with claims they had no idea about.

You should ask for copies of all your Service Medical Records.

Good Luck

If you have it medical records showing you had physical therapy during your time in really helps your case or a report of an injury or xray Evan repeated meds given. I didn't file my claim for almost 7 years but my military records showed injury and even after I got out civilian doctors would say in their report they believed the cause was from my injury in the army I was awarded 30% for my knee. BECAUSE of loss of motion you get more. The VA wants to hear what you can't do not what hurts. That was the advice of a VA worker gave me and he was right. Tell the doctor what you can't do. Make sure your not filing for knee pain rather arthritis or the medical term you doctor used. The most you can get for your knee is 30%. Hope this helps you. Good luck!

I had a knee injury on active duty in 1982 and it was recorded in my medical records. It has bothered me over the years with pain only when I climb stairs or get out of cars. Allthey did then was give me motrin. I've never claimed it, I just live with it. I'm older and heavier now and it bothers me now EVERY time I climb stairs or get out of a car. I have full movement. Can I file a claim? Will it get anywhere? Thanks

Since it is in your records of the injury you can service connect it. Go see a doctor, or an ortho and get them to give you a diagnosis and see if they will connect it to your injury while in the military. Get it in writing and sumbit this with a claim.

Your knee pain sounds like mine was. While in service I developed extreme knee pain.. it became so bad I couldn't go up or down stairs without sharp pain in both knees.. I couldn't run or squat without pain. I went to the base doctor and they sent me to specalists. They diagnosed me as having Chrodomalacia patella and patellafemoral syndrome. After my discharge my pain continued and my knees only got worse. I filed for service connection and was granted it for both knees. On the paperwork it states the disablities as L and R knee Chroldomalacia patella with patellafemoral syndrome.

So yes, pain is enough to get service connection. But it will help if you get a doctor to diaginos you with something. And get a current doctor to write you a letter stating his opinion that your current knee pain is a direct result of your knee injury in 1982.

Best of luck! Knee pain is awful.. if not corrected it will eventually lead to an altered gait and a messed up back.