VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dr. Letter/nexus

Rate this question

kussmanj

Question

I have reviewed many posts here and I am not sure as to exactly what I need. I have served 24yr and will be filing a disability claim (Back, Knees, and Mood). Do I need a letter/Nexus from my doctor’s since all of this happened during my service? There has not been a single injury but all stem from many Airborne Ops.

Thanks

Jim

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

What you should get are letters from doctors saying that your injuries and illness are as likely as not the result of your service as documented in your SMR's. You may have the material in your SMR's but what you want is medical opinion that connects all that to your current disabilities. The VA does a poor job of connecting dots. Your doctor should say how badly the disabilites affect your life now. You are trying to make a case to get the highest possible rating. Don't stop appealing until you get what you deserve. If your knees are bad now think how bad they will be in 10-20 years.

You do not need a nexus (doctor statement). Since you are still on active duty make sure that you get everything documented that you want to claim. Make sure you get a complete copy of your military records before you leave the military. Also make sure that you address every issue on you retirement physical.

Make sure you look into CRDP/ CRSC to see if you are eligible for one of these benefits:

http://www.military.com/benefits/military-pay/retired-pay/comparing-crsc-crdp

http://www.dfas.mil/rapay/rafaqs/crdpcrsc.html

You should get info on this as well as help with filing your claim at one of the transition briefings.

Thank you for all those years of service!