VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

New Ptsd Claim Submitted After Agent Orange Claim

Rate this question

mrs rockman (widow of vet)

Question

I need to get some information.

I filed form 21-526 in February for agent orange claims.

I then filed to have my 10% re-instanted for lowel back shrapnel. This was added to the original claim. It took less than 2 months to get that re-established.

I am now getting ready to file a Claim for PTSD (form 21-0781). I need to attach it to another claim. Do I use form21-4138 that my VSO suggested or can you use form 21-526B. I told him that there was a shorter form, but I could not remembe the number. I just want to make sure it will not hold up my agent orange claims.

Any help is appreciated.

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

I would use the 21-4138= what do you mean that this claim you 'need to attach it to another claim.'

The new PTSD regulations are in the PTSD forum.

Re the schrapnel claim "It took less than 2 months to get that re-established." GOOD FOR YOU!

I think I am wrong- it seems you should use the 21-0781 to detail the stressor.

Then again-did you get the PH on your DD 214 regarding the schrapnel?

A PH denotes stressor so maybe this is why the rep said to just use the 21-4138.

The PH, CIB, or CAR on a DD 214 usually always allows the VA to concede a stressor and the vet does not have to detail it.

I think I am wrong- it seems you should use the 21-0781 to detail the stressor.

Then again-did you get the PH on your DD 214 regarding the schrapnel?

A PH denotes stressor so maybe this is why the rep said to just use the 21-4138.

The PH, CIB, or CAR on a DD 214 usually always allows the VA to concede a stressor and the vet does not have to detail it.

Let me clarify myself. I have filled out form 21-0781 for the PTSD stressors- "Statement in support of claim for service connection for PTSD."

My VSO said to send it along with the form 21-4138, otherwise it would only confuse them,. This way, by having my claim number on it & sending in this form, they would not seek another DD 214 and go straight to my original claim. He said that this would be less confusing to the VA.

Yes, I do have the PH & CIB on my DD 214

Let me clarify myself. I have filled out form 21-0781 for the PTSD stressors- "Statement in support of claim for service connection for PTSD."

My VSO said to send it along with the form 21-4138, otherwise it would only confuse them,. This way, by having my claim number on it & sending in this form, they would not seek another DD 214 and go straight to my original claim. He said that this would be less confusing to the VA.

Yes, I do have the PH & CIB on my DD 214

I need to get some help with my PTSD claim with Agent Orange association.

I originally filed in Feb. '10 for the following:

IHD

Parkinson's

Hypertension as secondary to IHD

Chronic Lung condition (Pulmonary Fibrosis) secondary to IHd

I then filed in May'10 for:

re-instatement of scar-lower back ( actually is shrapnel by spine). They added it to my Feb.10 claim.

I did get it re-instated.

What I need to know is, I have gotten the PTSD diagnosis from my local VA Mental Health lady last Friday.

I am filing with form 21-0781- for the stressors & form 21-4138, so that VA will not start all over- asking for another DD214, but will link it right.

I found out today that the claim is ready for decision. She said that it was awaiting guidance- the 60 day rule. You can believe then 10% of the time (ON A GOOD DAY). I really do not know what that part of the process is. I wonder do they actually know the percentages or just getting me off of the phone and onto the next "victim".

When I went for my heart C & P in June, the C & P doctor told me when I got any new information on my heart to fax it in and also mail it in to claims. This would help me IHD claim. and it would speed it up. I had a echo in July & a heart cath in Aug. '10 and sent all of that in together along with the doctor's diagnostic codes. When I called in to claims a few weeks ago, they had sent my claim back because of new information that was sent it. It would only have improved my claim.

When my outside pulmonologist read the cath reports, he looked white as a sheet. He immediately put me on a 2 gram salt diet and said " see you in 30 days".

If I file for the PTSD now, will this hold back the other claim? I read somewhere on Hadit that you should wait until the IHD is done.

Any suggestions on this? Sorry I am so long on this post.

The claims filed under the new AO presumptives should be handled separately from other claims.

Are you unemployed? If so has any rep suggested you file for TDIU? I see no problem in filing the PTSD claim now as it should be handled separately from the AO claim.

I knew they had to be filed separately, but did not want for any reason for claims to put the two together.

Yes, I am still working, for I cannot live on Social Security alone. When I first applied for disability, the DAV guy also included Individual unemployability. That was denied, probably because I am still working. In February the VA pulmonologist put in my records that I should qualify for disability, even though VA does not want to link chronic pulmonary to AO. That is why we fileld it as secondary to IHD. The VA cannot figure out why I am still working. Hey- it does take a little cash to live.

I plan to try to work until the end of the year because of my retirement. Stress is very hard on my pulmonary condition and thus making the heart condition even worse. I work in a prison, so you can see whay I have stress. Now with dealing with all of this claims and VA , the PTSD has come out in full force.. I am taking this one day at a time and am determined to work through this and I will come out of it- I KNOW! I will be glad when December comes, so I can start the 12 week treatment at VA.

If VA grants me a good rating, then should I look into TDIU or individual unemployability- or are they one in the same?

If I get full disability, I can go on FMLA and use up my hours, then use my short term disability. Then I will be ready to file social secirity disability.

Also I was told by the nurse at our local VA that I should get 100% (Ha!). He said that if I did, go straight to the VA and sign my wife up for champva.

I just pray each day that VA will do the right thing- for myself and all of the forgotten Vietnam vets!

Thank you Berta