VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dont Call Us, Love, Varo

Rate this question

Guest Schreldia

Question

Guest Schreldia

After 30 years out of Service, finally got 70% 3 years ago (they back dated 8 years only altho SS began in 1976). Now thru HADIT forums we found out about TDIU and now filed in May 2010. Have had 2 letters 'sorry about the delay' and now nothing for a while. I called 800- number & got the recorded messages but I mut be doing something wrong because I cant find how to call St Louis VARO for status. I know I saw that number posted once on HADIT but searched today with no results! Anybody know the number?

I am the wife writing in my Vet husband's behalf (with his approval) who is blind since 1977. He was practically abandoned after medical discharge because family, etc, could not 'handle' him. After many years, a VIST cordinator in St Louis started guiding him, beginning with schools, Mo School for the blind, and many courses with the VA. Meanwhile, his medications finally leveled off and he was a 'real' person again with very few episodes. He had filed for SC in 1975, but was denied because despite med records, VA said it never happened. He was so despondent he never persued it. I met & married this wonderful man in 2002; a few months later he told me about his VA claim process & denial. I started the ball rolling and it took 8 years to finally get 70%. His SC is not for being blind, but for a serious personality disorder which is medicated under control now. He was given Valium over & over in the service when he had episodes, just to make him quiet. This was all recorded though.

There is no way any employer would take him on. His early on employment record was erratic & short lived, proof submitted from Social Sec records; VA psych records & letted submitted; VA ER records from the past 8 years for episodes, personal letters submitted, all material from the first claim is there. Whaddaya think?

• Answers 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Hello everyone, thanks for helping us. Carlie I am the same as Schreldia ('some' objected to my using grandmother's name- that kind of cousins duh).

I don't think I have heard of hardship case, but it surely will become such! Would like for his income to cover paid help so he can stay as independent as he is now. So reason for this claim.

the 800# said to expect 'a letter' by Dec 30. DAV said that 800# is like talking to the wall. His contact has no further news. Gee I hope the letter comes in a brown envelope.

Hawkfire27, Thank you, you stated, it perfectly "prevented him from having normal relationship with staff and customers". Exactly , and wonder why they didnt give him 100% in the first place. Experiences like yours are an immense help to us.

Hello everyone, thanks for helping us. Carlie I am the same as Schreldia ('some' objected to my using grandmother's name- that kind of cousins duh).

Omg-Sue,

I am going to close the Hadit.com account that you have under the member name Schreldia

and will leave your member account under Omg-Sue open.

Our expected Dec 30 letter came to say they are still working on it. (we have 6 of those form letters on hand) My Dr faxed a letter to K's DAV rep that stated that K's wife, his sole caregiver, has been diagnosed with Alzheimers. Due to this, there is a hardship on K . Please expedite this claim. So DAV was going to write his own letter & submit both. No guarantees they will expedite anyway, he said.

Thanks Tbird, every suggestion helps. He filed about 8 months ago. After 2 C&P exams, both with a report positive in his behalf, we were hoping for some answer a bit faster than the snail. We were happy to see such a bunch of winners right before Jan 01. Imagine their feeling of relief!