VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Carvedilol Vs Metoprolol Tartrate

Rate this topic

I have IHD and CHF. I had been on Metoprolol Tartrate for almost 25 years. Started with 25 mg once a day and over the years increased to 100 mg twice a day. Last March the VA Cardiologist changed my meds to Carvedilol 37-1/2 mg twice a day and increased my Isosorbide from 60 mg once a day to 90 mg to help with episodes of angina. Also I have been on Furosemide 40 mg twice a day for the CHF for over 10 years. Now it seems the Furosemide no longer helps in reducing the swelling in my lower legs at all since the change in meds. And before the change my meds kept my BP at near text book readings of 120 over 80. Now my BP's are very low, 78 over 47, 80 over 50 and the like. I feel very week and tired all the time. Get light headed when I stand and out of breath with the slightest exertion. Just taking a shower gets me out of breath. The only advantage I've seen to the change in meds is I don't have angina near as often as before. But I feel like a zombie most of the time.  

Just wondering if other vets on Carvedilol are having adverse side effects also.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have IHD and CHF. I had been on Metoprolol Tartrate for almost 25 years. Started with 25 mg once a day and over the years increased to 100 mg twice a day. Last March the VA Cardiologist changed my meds to Carvedilol 37-1/2 mg twice a day and increased my Isosorbide from 60 mg once a day to 90 mg to help with episodes of angina. Also I have been on Furosemide 40 mg twice a day for the CHF for over 10 years. Now it seems the Furosemide no longer helps in reducing the swelling in my lower legs at all since the change in meds. And before the change my meds kept my BP at near text book readings of 120 over 80. Now my BP's are very low, 78 over 47, 80 over 50 and the like. I feel very week and tired all the time. Get light headed when I stand and out of breath with the slightest exertion. Just taking a shower gets me out of breath. The only advantage I've seen to the change in meds is I don't have angina near as often as before. But I feel like a zombie most of the time.  

Just wondering if other vets on Carvedilol are having adverse side effects also.

Nope talk to your PCP and tell them the side effects. I have noticed in dealing with the VA they seem to like to give us what their textbooks say to use for situations and not stray from those UNLESS there are side effects.

Kind of like my mechanic!

Anyhow I have been on carvedil ever since my heart attack in 05 and have had no problems with it. I do experience angina during the day and sometimes at night but have not had to use nitro that much.

I also take Rosovasatin and a couple of drugs for my BP. ALL of my prescriptions are written by my private cardio doc and I give them to my PCP at the VA to be filled. When the VA wants to substitute I have it approved by my private Cardio doc FIRST.

My wife works and I get private coverage along with my VA if I have a real problem I go to the private docs. I realize this might now be available to all BUT I would stress that all vets report any and all side effects from drugs that the VA docs try to give you.

Navy if you want to know all the drugs that I take let me know and I will list the proper name and dosages for you. While I am not a doctored I do swear by my cardio doc!!

Went to see VA cardiologist today. They lowered my Carvedilol to 25 mg 2 x a day and lowered my Fosinopril from 20 mg to 5 mg once a day for BP. Gave me a BP machine and compression socks to help with the swelling in feet and lower legs. Increased my Furosomide to 3 x a day if I felt the need and told me to lower my fluid intake to 2 ltrs or less a day. Scheduling me for a MUGA scan (MUltiple Gated Acquisition scan). Wants me back in 30 days to see if there is any improvement.  

N4XV,

Appears that your medications just need some fine tuning. I'm having the opposite effect from Carvedilol,just got started on it in August for heart failure and my blood pressure has gone up considerably. The cardiologist is attempting to tweak the dose, but bp is still climbing. We all react differently to medications, so it's important to keep the prescribing doc informed. I'm glad you went back and some adjustments are being made. Hope you get feeling better soon. Don't wait 30 days if your symptoms don't improve.

Lorraine

P.S. - I guess after NOv 1st rolls around ,or, IF and WHEN my husband hears from VA on his AO/IHD we'll know if my increasing bp is due to the new Rx or waiting for the VA to make a decision!! :-)

• HadIt.com Elder

My blood pressure goes way up when I go to VA or the cuff they gave me does not work right and my Doc wants to check it.

N4XV,

Appears that your medications just need some fine tuning.  I'm having the opposite effect from Carvedilol,just got started on it in August for heart failure and my blood pressure has gone up considerably. The cardiologist is attempting to tweak the dose, but bp is still climbing.  We all react differently to medications, so it's important to keep the prescribing doc informed.  I'm glad you went back and some adjustments are being made.  Hope you get feeling better soon. Don't wait 30 days if your symptoms don't improve.

Lorraine

P.S. - I guess after NOv 1st rolls around ,or, IF and WHEN my husband hears from VA on his AO/IHD we'll know if my increasing bp is due to the new Rx or waiting for the VA to make a decision!!  :-)

Yes Lorraine, that is what my PCP put in my records for the Cardio Doc to see and act on. Those compression socks are helping a lot with the swelling but very uncomfortable after a few hours and although its only been one day since the meds change I've noticed my BP has gone up a little. Low 80's over low 60's today. I know I will have ups and downs until they find the right balance in meds for me. My wife thinks it is stress over the new regs but I don't feel stressed over it. I've always been willing to wait until Christmas morning to open the presents. Never felt the need to peek or open them early. Besides I would think stress would cause my BP to up not down. Thanks for your reply and I hope when the decisions start coming out everybody's BP stay normal.