VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Carvedilol Vs Metoprolol Tartrate

Rate this topic

I have IHD and CHF. I had been on Metoprolol Tartrate for almost 25 years. Started with 25 mg once a day and over the years increased to 100 mg twice a day. Last March the VA Cardiologist changed my meds to Carvedilol 37-1/2 mg twice a day and increased my Isosorbide from 60 mg once a day to 90 mg to help with episodes of angina. Also I have been on Furosemide 40 mg twice a day for the CHF for over 10 years. Now it seems the Furosemide no longer helps in reducing the swelling in my lower legs at all since the change in meds. And before the change my meds kept my BP at near text book readings of 120 over 80. Now my BP's are very low, 78 over 47, 80 over 50 and the like. I feel very week and tired all the time. Get light headed when I stand and out of breath with the slightest exertion. Just taking a shower gets me out of breath. The only advantage I've seen to the change in meds is I don't have angina near as often as before. But I feel like a zombie most of the time.

Just wondering if other vets on Carvedilol are having adverse side effects also.

Carvedilol is an excellent drug and routinely used for patients with CHF. Believe it or not it has far fewer side effects than other beta-blockers. Just be patient and continue to report side effects to your doctor until you find a dose that works.

JMO,

Bergie

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

Pete53, mine does, too. They call it white coat syndrome and is caused by the anxiety of going to the docs.

pr

My blood pressure goes way up when I go to VA or the cuff they gave me does not work right and my Doc wants to check it.

Pete53, mine does, too. They call it white coat syndrome and is caused by the anxiety of going to the docs.

pr

Yes i have been in the cardivolol for 9 years and due to severe reaction the doc reduced my dose to 25 mg once a day.

That has helped me some but not much i still have

lack of sex intrest

dizziness

breathing problems

zombie like conditions mostly spend my time in bed

drooling

there are approxamatly 7 symptom from this med and you can look then up at rx on the net.

My doc told me after 3 or 4 years that i might start having the reactions and symptoms i am having.

I like you have two options.

1. live with the med which i need to keep my heart pump strong ,and basically have no normal life at all.

2. Or cut the meds in half and be somewhat normal.

3. Stop taking the med and live normal and feeling well

4.Or take the med at night ,by morning the symptoms are mostly gone.

i prefer the night med option ,at least i can function somewhat normal during the day.

Thats just my opinion , and is what i have decided to do,if i die i die

I already take 18 meds a day for stroke heart,and so on

I told my heart dr the i had two choices live normal or live in a vegatative state,at least now i will know whats going on when something happens to me

GOD BLESS YOU FOR I UNDERSTAND PERFECTLY.REMEMBER THE "I MET A MAN WITH NO FEET "

• HadIt.com Elder

Its my opinion but the way the VA deals out meds it is possible to work closely with Doc and sort out doses and or change to a better med. Don't just take them and lay in bed.

Just an update: Since change of meds last Thurs. I am beginning to feel better each day. BP going up a little everyday and those compression sock really help to keep the leg swelling down. Although those socks are somewhat uncomfortable it is nothing compared to how the swollen legs made me feel without them. The zombie feeling is just about gone but still feel real tired around 3 to 4 PM but fighting taking a nap. Hopefully they are on the right track in getting my meds balanced.    

That's really good news, Glad to hear you are feeling better with the reduced doseages. Agree about the compression stockings tho - after a few hours, I just want to rip them off! But, that sort of defeats the purpose. My BP is starting to drop a bit after two weeks since the last doseage change, so am hoping it will level out. About 4-5pm, I'm getting a really big drop that makes me feel woozy, but it's not every day. Guess we both have to hang in there and ride this out.

Lorraine