VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Tinnitus

Rate this question

burghpitts

Question

Hello, I am active duty and I work in a pretty loud enviroment and had ssome loud trauma to my ears. I have had a hearing test that came back pretty good and been seen by ENT I do have recurrent tinnitus it comes and goes for that last several months and it is documented in my medical record. I get out in 10 months what should I expect for the C&P exam? Would I get rated for this?

Thanks!!

• Answers 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Tinnitus is easy. I got it for riding around in a Hummvee for a year in Iraq. I was a Combat Engineer, but we did Route Clearance and Convoy Security. I was around a few blasts, but I believe they rated me for just riding around with constant noise of those vehicles. I wouldn't worry a whole lot about it.

• HadIt.com Elder

Thanks, Carlie! I always thought if it was heard by others it was called "noise or sound." ;-)

pr

Subjective recurrent Tinnitus comps at 10 percent.

See below for Objective Tinnitus

Note (2): Assign only a single evaluation for recurrent tinnitus, whether the sound is perceived in one ear, both ears, or in the head. Note (3): Do not evaluate objective tinnitus (in which the sound is audible to other people and has a definable cause that may or may not be pathologic) under this diagnostic code, but evaluate it as part of any underlying condition causing it.

Edited by Philip Rogers

I had a comp exam thus summer for hearing loss-increased disability. I was denied kept at current, however during this exam I was asked about the ringing of the ears,ect, which is Tinnitus and she put down that is was bilateraly, and constant due to machinery noise that happened during my service, which is how I got the 0% for hearing lost. I know this is rated at 10%-you can have a 0% for hearing loss and still get this right? However in speaking to a rating officier for the DVA yesterday it was indicated that I can't be rated for that as my hearing loss is still the same, and its not in my record, just the hearing loss. I disagree. I believe this is something you have to ask for, it is in the latest comp exam. Who is right, or wrong-thanks

They awarded me 0% for hearing loss with hearing aides and 10% for constant bilateral tinnitis.

So even though I had a comp exam in 96, and another one this summer, I still can get this? I wasn't asked any questions for the one 1996, however the recent one it is noted, however I was told you have to specifically requested to be rated for the tinnitis. I only went in for an comp exam for hearing, why should I send in another requested to be rated for this? I disagree with the service officier who stated they won't give that to you as you are still at 10% and have to be rated higher to qualify for the 10% tinnitis. I had a few issues straighten out on my NODS and I brought this issue up. If the feedback is postivie on here, then I will personally send in a separate request to be rated for that. So, bottom line is this another appeal for a NOD, or a letter of reconsideration, or a new case.