VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Tdiu Claim At Rating Board

Rate this question

ironsoldier77

Question

I have been calling the 800 number and my service rep and they both tell me that my claim for TDIU is at the Rating board. I have heard that if your claim is at the rating board thats usually good news?? Means they have something to rate? Does this mean that my TDIU has been awarded?

• Answers 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Just wanted to ask a question about something thats been troubling me. My claim is still at the rating board "ready for decision". I have just recently been offered and job. Its a really good job, great benefits, pays very well. With the bills piling up and the fact that i've been going on 3 years now of not working, I feel that is in my best interest to take the job and see how I do. This job just came out of the blue and its a once in a lifetime chance to see if I can make it. I can't just sit around waiting on the VA to make a decision on my claim. I've already had to file bankruptcy to eliminate debt and stop the phone calls and judgements. I already called the social security office and told them I started working. I now am on the "trial work period". I get to keep my SSD for 9 months to see If I can handle working again. So...that brings me to my big concern. What do I do about my claim for the IU?? Do I just let it continue, or should I call my rep and let him know and stop the claim?? I dont know what to do. I just want to do the right thing and I dont want to do be doing anything illegal by working and waiting on the decision for IU. Im just worried if this job doesnt work out I might screw myself by stopping the claim. So stressed about this! Any suggestions. This job also pays over 30k a year, so Im guessing thats considered gainful emplyment. Thank you for any suggestions!

iron,

I really don't have an answer to this one for you.

Sometimes we just gotta do - what we gotta do.

Other's will probably chime in.

Yeah thats exactly how I feel. Im just doing what I gotta do! haha! I'd be stupid not to try this job. If anything, atleast I know that Im trying to better myself and not feeling like a loser/failure at home. My wife can finally go the doctor now that we have medical insurance. I dont know what I would have done though without the VA. They have been very good to me and my family in times of need. It just stinks that the claims process takes so long.

Just got word from my VA Service Rep on this matter. I thought it would be a good idea to share it with the community.

"The suspense date for your claim is June 28, 2011 (expected completion date). I wouldn’t do anything until you receive the decision. If the IU is granted, then you want to notify the VA as to the exact date you went back to work. You would then want to save part of the retro payment, in case they ask for the money back. If IU is denied, you will not have to do anything.

Every now and then a veteran gets reduced when they submit a claim for an increase because the examination showed improvement.

Focus on trying to keep the job if you can; you haven’t done anything wrong. Your were considered unemployable when you submitted your claim."

Im amazed that no one has any opinions on this matter. I have just received another response from another service rep that I use when the other one is not available. This is what he says.

"Congrat’s on the new job. I would not withdraw the IU claim. If they grant it, you can at least have the retro from the date of award (if granted). Also, if you are deemed unemployable by the VA, you can also do a “trial work period” & maintain you IU status. If you do, you just need to notify the VA that you are attempting gainful employment, and they will let you keep the IU for 12 months. If, after the 12 months is up, you are still employed, they will reduce you back down to whatever your disability rating is at the time. (hoping to get the 70% award for PTSD).

It is unconscionable as to the amount of time it is taking t hem to rate this claim. I totally agree with your choice to accept the employment."

So ... 2 of my service reps both agree that I should wait out the claim and see what the decision will be. Thats what Im going to do. Unless someone on here has any advice with actual regulations to back it up.

Thank you hadit members. Your help is always appreciated! I hope the info from my service reps helps out another veteran with the same issue.