VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Tdiu Claim At Rating Board

Rate this question

ironsoldier77

Question

I have been calling the 800 number and my service rep and they both tell me that my claim for TDIU is at the Rating board. I have heard that if your claim is at the rating board thats usually good news?? Means they have something to rate? Does this mean that my TDIU has been awarded?

• Answers 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I would wait it out and see if I get TDIU. TDIU when you become permanent has a lot more benefits than just money. Your dependents can get benefits like insurance and help with education. How old are you? If you are over 40 I would take the TDIU in lieu of a job that might vanish in 6 months. As of now you have SSDI and probably TDIU. That is a lot to give up since you now know how hard it is to get. Is your PTSD now cured? You don't want to give up the TDIU and then have to start over and wait for years again if the job fizzels. I am 61 so I know what I would do, but our situations are different. You have a difficult decision to make. Does your new job have a probation period?

I would wait it out and see if I get TDIU. TDIU when you become permanent has a lot more benefits than just money. Your dependents can get benefits like insurance and help with education. How old are you? If you are over 40 I would take the TDIU in lieu of a job that might vanish in 6 months. As of now you have SSDI and probably TDIU. That is a lot to give up since you now know how hard it is to get. Is your PTSD now cured? You don't want to give up the TDIU and then have to start over and wait for years again if the job fizzels. I am 61 so I know what I would do, but our situations are different. You have a difficult decision to make. Does your new job have a probation period?

Im only 33 , but my PTSD is far from being cured. I am on many different types of medications. Clonazepam is the best one. It helps me with the anxiety and anger. That way I can try this new job out and see how things go. I know its a hard decision. It was a hard decision to even try this job out but I really had no choice. The job does not have a probation period which is good. My wife can go to the doctor again. She hasnt been to see her doctor in almost 4 years! Hopefully a decision will be made soon on the TDIU and I can decide what steps to take after that. For right now I have to work to keep our roof over our head and pay for things that my 5 year old son needs so he can go to school. I am really just sucking it up and doing the best I can right now. The medication really helps. I would be a mess without it. Thanks for the friendly advice! You are a good person.

• HadIt.com Elder

Iron

Your problem is so common that many here have lost everything while waiting for a rating. If you had a job when you actually filed for TDIU I would tell you that is not OK. The thing is that you are saying in your claim that you are unable to obtain and keep substantial employment due solely to your SC condition. At your age I would also take work if I could get it. Just be sure you are not swearing or attesting to the fact you are not able to work now that you have a job. You don't want to get into a fraud situation. I think this is why others here were reluctant to advise you. I would see what happens and then tell the VA what the situation is right away. Don't spend the retro or TDIU money before you get the all clear. I think at the worst the VA is going to ask for the money back since you are no longer TDIU. If you are denied TDIU then you have nothing to worry about, but since you got SSD you probably will get TDIU. At some point the VA is going to ask you if you are working via a employment questionaire. You should tell the truth because they can check via SSA and IRS. You just want to be very sure that you are not going to get in trouble. If there was a VA lawyer in your area I would make an appointment and run it by them.

Iron

Your problem is so common that many here have lost everything while waiting for a rating. If you had a job when you actually filed for TDIU I would tell you that is not OK. The thing is that you are saying in your claim that you are unable to obtain and keep substantial employment due solely to your SC condition. At your age I would also take work if I could get it. Just be sure you are not swearing or attesting to the fact you are not able to work now that you have a job. You don't want to get into a fraud situation. I think this is why others here were reluctant to advise you. I would see what happens and then tell the VA what the situation is right away. Don't spend the retro or TDIU money before you get the all clear. I think at the worst the VA is going to ask for the money back since you are no longer TDIU. If you are denied TDIU then you have nothing to worry about, but since you got SSD you probably will get TDIU. At some point the VA is going to ask you if you are working via a employment questionaire. You should tell the truth because they can check via SSA and IRS. You just want to be very sure that you are not going to get in trouble. If there was a VA lawyer in your area I would make an appointment and run it by them.

Thanks for the sound advice. I have been unemployed since November of 2008. I just started this new job last month. I originally filed for TDIU after I lost my job in Nov 2008. I would obviously tell the VA that I started working if they approve the claim. Even if that means giving back the retro pay. I am a firm believer in karma! I just want to do whats right , but if there is a program that is similar to the SSA "trial work period", I would like to do that. My service rep said the VA has a similar program with TDIU, its kinda like a temporary TDIU or something? Your advice to talk to a VA lawyer is a very good idea and I will look in to that. Thanks again for the advice, much appreciated!

Edited by ironsoldier77

My family and I call Clonazepam my do not kill pills.

They work quicker when I chew them : -)

hahahahah!! Do not kill pills!! You aint lying! I've never tried chewing them before. I will try that next time. Thanks!