VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ao / Ihd Treadmill Stress Test Question

Rate this question

NSA-Saigon-ET

Question

Hi Everyone,

I have suffered with Angina since 1994 and have been on medication since then. This is a result of my in-country Vietnam service and exposure to Agent Orange. I recently had to perform a treadmill stress test for the VA at a QTC facility here in Houston for my AO IHD claim.

Before the test, I was interviewed by a Doctor and I asked him if I should take the treadmill test or simply do the echo-test. His response was my choice, but that most people opt for the echo test since it is easier on the body. The results are not as conclusive as the stress test but again are easier and safer to perform.

If the stress test is attempted and cannot be completed due to fatigue or pain then they will fall back on the echo test.

Anyway, I wanted to attemp the stress test, which is actually called the Bruce Stress Test.

We did it and I was able to last long enough to reach the max. heart rate for me calculated for my age (61) to be (220bpm -age = calc heart rate) or 220 - 61 = 159bpm.

My normal heart rate at rest is around 61-65 bpm due to the medications.

The test was a success and my METS were 7.6

I looked up the IHD rating for compensation in the present table and see I fall into the 10% category as I must take my meds or suffer constant Angina attacks, but the METS level of 7.6 means I am able to ride a bike and perform some light physical work.

Now the question I have is this:

Are they basing the ratings only on the results of the stress test?

If you are testing for IHD, I would like to think that testing is performed without the medications if possible, to see what you can do and can't do.

I can't find any reference to the procedure pertaining to taking meds vs. not taking meds.

I realize that I don't need a stent as yet, but my physical ability seems to be rather curtailed which should rate a higher rating than 10%..

I am not complaining of being in better health just for the sake of a few dollars, but am concerned with the criteria for disability ratings.

Any input greatly appreciated while we wait for the last of the 60 day delay.

• Answers 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

"Seems to me that the VA needs to re-evaluate the policy for stress tests
for C&P vs. normal testing to see effectiveness of meds under
normal (none trigger situations)"

Yeah- and the DBQs can be problematic there too........

I am glad the doctor got his act together fast on this......

but it troubles me that these C & P docs start to opine as if they are VA raters.

In your case that was good.....in other cases the C & P docs (paid by VA .... conflict of interest) in my opinion, should just write up the exam results, make a proper and clear nexus statement (if they can) with rationale, consider any IMO you bring to the exam, or any other brief but relevant evidence (some wont like that, some will)

and then mind their own business on what a rater may or may not do,as it isnt in their job description to opine on any claim's outcome.

Still here

I agree with that. Without IMO's I would still be at 30%. My last cardiac C&P was just a sham done by a PA. I appealed and got 60%.

Well, gee. Therein lies the problem. Vet arrives with IMO. Vet wins. Vet arrives without and expects VA to be a stand-up outfit. Vet loses. Hmmm. What's wrong with this picture? VA's job is to hold the line like the NFL offense. Protect the RVSRback. Their ratings are wrong 60% of the time. We know this. The repair order is staring us in the face. John illustrates it perfectly. Somebody ought to write a book about this phenomenon. They could make millions.

thanks, this valueable information. I had a stent put in last Sept. THE STRESS TEST DID NOT SHOW ANYTHING ABNORMAL, but the Dr. did a left heart caterzation and found a 95% blockage and one with 40%. I am on PLAVIC for that, last week I has several angina attack, pain in left shouder and sharpe pain running down my left arm. We went to the DR office and now I am on daily isosorbide to control the angina attacks. I also carry the little bottle of nitorgisian(sp) in case I have a heart atteck. I have not applied for C&P. I have 3 claims in now and I don't want to stall the decision on these by adding another claim. I just hope I can get tese off the pending stage to compensation stage, so I can apply for AO exposion claim.

• HadIt.com Elder

AO claims go faster because all you need is proof of exposure to AO and one of the presumptive diseases. Claim development is much easier than normal claim. I might file on it now to preserve effective date. If you have had a heart attack you will probably high rating. Do you have a spouse?

Asknod said:

"Somebody ought to write a book about this phenomenon. They could make millions."

Will that be your sequel, friend?????? ASKNOD has written a book on VA claims and it is at amazon.com

I dont know if we are allowed to mention stuff like that here...... The book is Fabulous....

In one of my earlier post, I talked about having a stent and the new heart meds for angina. I have 3 claims in now which has move on ebenefits. So my question If I put in for IHD as a persumptive of AO, will that delay the claims in now, or should I wait till they are resolved before I do that?