VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Am I Eligible For Smc-S

Rate this topic

• HadIt.com Elder

File it as a CUE and see what happens. I was at 70% IU and was granted another 60% which brought me to 90% so I got S.

The way I see it if you are 100% you have to get another 60%. The thing is if you are actually housebound you can get it on the merits. You might try for that instead of chasing the total plus 60%. I think the VA will quibble over your rating. I think I fit the profile just right which made it easy for me.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

dsgsr,

Even if your not qualified for Voc Rehab for re-employment, you would still qualify for Independent Living Services(ILS) through Voc Rehab.

In order to qualify you must be deemed unfit for rehab employment due being 100% disabled with atleast 20% service connected issues.

Some training is availble through ILS services, although it is primarily used to help you be less dependent on others and your enviroment.

Allan

dsgsr,

Even if your not qualified for Voc Rehab for re-employment, you would still qualify for Independent Living Services(ILS) through Voc Rehab.

In order to qualify you must be deemed unfit for rehab employment due being 100% disabled with atleast 20% service connected issues.

Some training is availble through ILS services, although it is primarily used to help you be less dependent on others and your enviroment.

Allan

Thank you for the Info. and Votes of confidants too go forward. I am still waiting to hear if I qualify for ILS. If I read Bradley v Peake correctly it states you must have been given TDIU because of a single rating of 70% or more to get SMC-S. At the time in '96 I was at 90% but none of the ratings were a 70% by themselves until '99 when I was awarded 100% P&T. Then I had a single rating of 70% plus others that added up to 100%. Now I'm reading the VA is saying that TDIU is Moot if you are already at 100%. So I'm a little hesitant too put in the claim. Maybe if I get denied ILS, I might move forward.

Thank you again,

David

• HadIt.com Elder

The first decision after filing for ILS, the claim is likely to be denied.

But atleast they will have to determine if your eligible for voc-rehab employment training by applying for it.

If it's determined that you don't qualify for employment training and decide you need ILS after recieving a denial, simply ask for reconsideration or file a NOD. It's generally aproved the second time around.

No matter what you apply for with the VA it seems to be a long drawn out process.

Allan

• 3 weeks later...

The best time to hesitate in filing a claim is NEVER.

Bottom Line:

Some people hesitate to file another claim as they feel it will delay their current claim. Sure, it will delay it. It will also delay it if it snows on Thursday and if the Saints win the Super Bowl. Too many Vets applying delays your claim. The Iraq war delays your claim. The VA does not need an excuse to delay your claim..they delay them on general principals, or because they put on socks that dont match that morning. Worrying about delays to your claim is like worrying about it snowing and slipping on the ice. Its gonna happen. Do not hesitate to file your claim because you are worried about delays. Hesitating costs you money. If you are awarded 100%, then each month you delay costs you about $2600 if you are single. How many $2600 can you afford to loose?