VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Gonna Take The Plunge

Rate this question

dogface

Question

I have visited a VSO and she says I need to write a stressor letter for my claim.it doesn't seem like she gives it much hope. Non combat is an uphill climb proving. I can t remember specific dates even to 3 months of the event in a couple of instances. I would like to thank y'all for being here for me, ya all rock!

• Answers 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I only saw the DX , have not read the full report. I need to read it. It is a weird situation for me, having all been set in motion from the questionnaire I filled out before my original visit with my primary care doc. It's funny to me the psychiatrist has been more evaluating me than anything else. DX of depression and anxiety, R/O ptsd... and I suppose he's not a believer in dispensing drugs, I've been offered none.

Hi to all, It's been awhile. I got my records from the VA including the first visit to a new psychiatrist in early March, and my axis 1 -5.

Axis I - Depression disorder nos

PTSD.

Axis II - None

Axis III - Hypertension

Hyperlipidemia

LBP

Diabetes

Axis IV - Family Conflict

Axis V - 55

The shrink has me on pills, 30mg of prozac and 3 trazadones a day. So far so good I'd say.

I also got a request from the VA wanting more information as to my filing a claim for PTSD in Jan. In that filing I listed 4 stressors and they only need more information on 1 event. I take that to mean they have been able to find the other 3. Anyone care to comment? Yall been a heap a blessings....

I got my records from the VA including the first visit to a new psychiatrist in early March,.

A quick correction here. I was first seen by a psychologist in August of last year. For my regular 6 month Doctors visit this February I was in the throes of a full blown anxiety episode and was at that time offered a visit to the psychologist at that time. I declined because he was not wanting to do anything but talk, and I wanted medication. They then set me up with my first visit to a psychiatrist, not a new psychiatrist. I understand now that the psychologists evaluate and offer therapy or chit chat, and psychiatrists treat witth medications...

To be diagnosed with PTSD you MUST have been in fear for your life "due to enemy or terrorist activity/action".

That's not accurate although it's easy to see why you thought that was case. The regulatory language is:

"Whether or not the claimed stressor is related to the Veteran's fear of hostile military or terrorist activity."

The logic is rather convoluted but what that phrase translates to is: "Does the veteran meet Criterion A of the DSM-IV diagnostic criteria for PTSD?" I can't find the regulation that explains why but that's the way it is.

Therefore, the veteran who made the original post might be diagnosed with PTSD by a C&P examiner.

Joe