VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ph Question

Rate this question

Berta

Question

I have a widow whose husband had told me years ago he had been shot in Nam (ie PH)

and the residuals were compensatable (but he told me he sent the VA comp money back to the VA )???

I did not see the PH in his pictures while in full uniform at his funeral- but did not discount what he told me.

It is possible he never got the actual PH medal (Nam vet)

However-it should be on his DD 214- then again always possible it isnt-but that he deserved it-

The wife is useless in getting any info from her but she wants DIC- long story there- maybe a death pension-

she claims she doesnt know if he was shot or not-

My question is- I just sent her to my local vet rep because she never filed out the 21-534 I sent her over a year ago and maybe he can get more info from her than I could)

(I also had sent her a SF 180 and also a DD 149 to get the DD 214 corrected -she does not know where his DD 214 is but she never followed up on those forms either)-

question- the circumstances of this GSW-which he said he was hospitalized for- would there always be a write up from his CO in his service records or would the fact that a MASH or maybe a shipboard hosp off Vietnam coast ,treated him for GSW be enough to prove he deserved the PH? with no CO write up?

Maybe it is why he came home from Nam but I thought he said he had a regular DEROS-and went back into the field after some extensive hospital treatment.

Thanks all-

Edited by Berta

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

Terry- thanks- this was a terrible death by suicide-and slim chance for DIC but she should be eligible for wartime pension if her income is low enough.

I dont get it- I have gotten some widows claims that are awful and have no potential at all-like one who said her husband had AO from Nam-(but not a presumptive condition) Then I find out

He was never in Nam or any other AO place and died after leaving Leavenworth prison because he stole money from the Army-

Another widow said she would kill herself if I didnt get her some VA DIC fast-yeah right-

I dont accept death or suicide threats. She was only married to that vet for a few months knowing he would die.

and the widow I mentioned here this morning- now it looks like they were not legally married under VA criteria- so

unless she can prove marriage (NY has no common law) she is not surviving spouse anyhow-

I think widows are lucky that we in fact can be found eligible for VA benefits-per VA law- but believe me , there are people out there trying to get advantage of the service of veterans-

without legitimate cause and that sure ticks me off.

• HadIt.com Elder

Berta

When I was the service officer for a local AL post a woman wanted DIC or a War Pension. Through very long investigation I found out here husband was not in the army. He was in a war related industry but never left his home town. REJECTED! This guys worked and made good money during WWII and stayed out of the action and then his widow wanted veterans benefits.

• In Memoriam

[size=3]Berta

Any Army/USMC field hospital or Navy sick bay would normally write up wounds and indicate their cause. They are usually quite careful about this. Also authorities would normally prepare a casualty report about guys who are WIA.

But like helicopter door gunners, I bet there are lots more of people claiming they were entitled to a PH than the number of PH’s awaded/

Alex