VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Frustrated

Rate this question

navydoc2

Question

I received my employment questionaire from the VA back in August. This was the first year that I had to fill it out since I was just granted IU last year in Feb O9. I mailed it in and made a copy for my records. Then I got to thinking about what some have said on this site, about the VA claiming they never got it. I then made another copy and sent it certified, thinking that was the best way. Well last week I get a letter from the VA stating since they did not receive my questionaire; they were going to reduce my award back to the 80% instead of the IU. I couldn't believe it. So I took the copy that I had with the certified label, and printed out when it was received by the VA and who signed for it. I went down to the VA and spoke with a gentleman, showing him my evidence that I had mailed it in time. His response was that just because they recieved something in the building doesn't mean they got it. HUH!!! WTF does that even make sense? You are saying you can get something in the mail sign for it; and still there are no guarantees it will be processed, you can just hope whoever signs for it feels like doing thier job that day? This is what we have to deal with?

/doc

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

It appears that a scenario is happening here. With the volume of mail going out to the Regional Offices and the slow as crap time it takes to get the actual mail into the hands of the resonsible party causes delays in deadlines, yet the letter for the proposed reduction zips out the door the day after the deadline.

What is wrong with this scenario?

Observation points: Things like this upsets people. Some may stroke out or have an MI. Attempt to save money?

Suggest Vets use fax machine to fax info as well as use Certified return recipt or Fed EX or UPS with viable tracking numbers. Last resort is to go to RO to personally hand it to them and ask for date stamped copy.

J

Edited by jbasser

I went down to the VA and spoke with a gentleman, showing him my evidence that I had mailed it in time. His response was that just because they recieved something in the building doesn't mean they got it. HUH!!! WTF does that even make sense? You are saying you can get something in the mail sign for it; and still there are no guarantees it will be processed, you can just hope whoever signs for it feels like doing thier job that day?

/doc

navy,

All vets who live close enough to their RO should submit everything in person and get a date stamped copy,

they can also follow up with a fax or RRR mail.

No matter how it's done, here's a hypothetical scenario for us all.

Claimant goes to RO submits - 3 pages of medical evidence, a signed ROI form to get private medical records

and it's all attached to a 21-4138. Claimant submits it in person and gets a date stamped copy.

This new paperwork will go into a pile, a bin, a section - whatever, but it can fall off the pile, out of the bin

or never arrive at it's section.

If it falls off the pile it may end up underneath a desk or get accidentally dropped back behind a stationary cabinet, etc...

Now I would at least like to say, I hope this does not happen on purpose - it may or it may not.

The VBA does get one heck of a ton of mail and as they say - sheet does happen, that's why we suggest

more than one way to try and insure your paper's make it to your claims file.

A few years ago there was a rash of proposed reductions by VA due to this crap.

I recall many vets here decided to make copies of the employment form and mark their calendar to send it to VA before the VA even asks for it,but they can still say they never got it.

One good reason to have a vet rep is to make sure they too have a copy of it and proof that you mailed it to the VARO.

Or Fax it to them or give it to them in person-

then again they could still lose it.

• HadIt.com Elder

Berta

That's right. I download a copy of the form in December and take it over to the VARO and get it stamped. They have not sent me a form in three years. It is a scandal that they would propose to reduce someone over this since they send it (when they send it) via regular mail. They don't ever write you to confirm you got it. You have to bend up like a figure 8 to protect yourself from their negligence. Twice they have failed to send me notification of C&P exams and denied claims due to that. I get it corrected, but it pisses me off. They treat us with such disrespect and most accept because what can they do? If not for Hadit and the internet where would we be?

The VA attempted to do that to me in 2007 even though I have had TDUI since 1980! The regs at the time didn't require the form for veterans like me, but they sent it to me anyway and to the wrong address. I only found out about the proposed reduction when I IRISed asking why my request for a copy of my c-file had not been honored. The "copy clerk" called me at home and asked if I wanted the "whole thing" or just the most recent award letter. "What award letter. I haven't had an active claim since 1980! Oh, they are awarding you a reduction in compensation which goes into effect in 3 days." Called my Senator and had him fax the form even though I wasn't required to fill it out. There was never a burp in the amount of my compensation. The VA never admitted to me or the Senator that I was not required to fill out and return the form. By the way, the "copy clerk" told me that they never send a copy of a C-File until either they get a second request or a Congressional inquiry. Keep that in mind!

I use a private mail facility--UPS Store used to be called Mail Boxes, Etc. I have a stack of the RRR forms. When I send the VA a letter or evidence I fill out the RRR form first. I copy the number on the form and put: Sent via Registered Mail #1234567888888 above the subject line of the letter. This line is repeated on every page. I also have the facility date/time stamp the letter. I also fax it to my home fax which then shows date and time.

Another veteran I know, takes his letters/evidence/forms to his Congressman's office and has them fax it/them to the VA.

It is a crime that we have to take these precautions, but we must!

navydoc, If you have not done so already. Send in a disagreement with the proposed reduction and ASK FOR A HEARING BEFORE ANY ACTION IS TAKEN.

Hope all goes well for you.