VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Unrelated Stroke After Disability Rating/helpless

Rate this question

sammy104

Question

My husband has had a 20% disability rating for his left arm and hand for over 10 years. Last year he had a huge stroke and almost died. He is age 72 and has been retired for many years. The stroke was at home, not service related. I care for him at home. He cannot speak, his whole right side of body is paralysed. After his stroke tho, his left arm/hand has gotten so bad, he can hardly even lift a spoon to eat meals. He cannot survive without help, period. He is totally helpless. Next week, , we go in for his first rating of his left arm/hand, AFTER his stroke suffered in april 2009. This is NOT the side that was paralysed, by the stroke. How tho, do they calculate a rating now, that he is totally helpless, cannot walk speak etc...but this stroke was not service realted? Stressed here to say the least. Thanks for your help

• Answers 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

If he re -opens his claim, he will receive a VCAA letter telling him what evidence the VA needs.He will then be scheduled for a VA C & P exam.

The VA will then consider the results of the C & P exam as to whether his rating should be higher or not.

Then the VARO will prepare a decision.

This all takes a significant amount of time.

The VCAA letter will require a response. Any medical evidence that can help the claim should be copied and sent to the RO (Regional Office)along with the response form.

If a non VA doctor feels his present condition now is stemming from his SC condition this would be good evidence to have the VA consider.If the doctor would be willing to prepare an IMO (the criteria is in our IMO forum here) this would possibly help his claim and the VA would consider it -if this is his service connected arm.

8 months is about right for C & P time frame.or longer.

Once the claim is filed then they will at some point schedule the C & P.

"Eventually, pay changes go into efect." That will depend on the CRDP CRSC criteria I posted a link to.

A change could happen- but it might have no monetary benefit at all.Maybe larger check from VA and then Retirement check reduced by same amount.

Edited by Berta

I was able to fax in a "hardship" note to the VA Regional office. With medical copies prooving his stroke etc., ...and it sounds like they can move him up in the line to be seen quicker, than 8 months. In the meanwhile, I'm filling out form # 21-4142 to get ALL his medical info released since his stroke. We go to many medical places as we are not restricted to VA care only. I am correct to think the only records they have are the ones thru VA care only?.

Do harship notes really work in getting in quicker? Wondering if anybody has experience with hardship request....in a way it seems all Va Sc claims are hardships......what have any of you guys experienced? :)

• HadIt.com Elder

My husband has had a 20% disability rating for his left arm and hand for over 10 years. Last year he had a huge stroke and almost died. He is age 72 and has been retired for many years. The stroke was at home, not service related. I care for him at home. He cannot speak, his whole right side of body is paralysed. After his stroke tho, his left arm/hand has gotten so bad, he can hardly even lift a spoon to eat meals. He cannot survive without help, period. He is totally helpless. Next week, , we go in for his first rating of his left arm/hand, AFTER his stroke suffered in april 2009. This is NOT the side that was paralysed, by the stroke. How tho, do they calculate a rating now, that he is totally helpless, cannot walk speak etc...but this stroke was not service realted? Stressed here to say the least. Thanks for your help

My most positive thoughts are with you, 'sammy104', and your husband, as you go through this ordeal. He is a fortunate vet to have a loving spouse such as you.

Thank you.

A fellow Vet...

My most positive thoughts are with you, 'sammy104', and your husband, as you go through this ordeal. He is a fortunate vet to have a loving spouse such as you.

Thank you.

A fellow Vet...

Thank you for your kind words Commander Bob. Big challenges, faced head on.... bring big blessings!!! :)

Berta/ RE:IMO....I've learned much from so many of your postings/replies from this website. I feel I am really doing MY BEST now, and am doing things in an "orderly and timly manner". Since filing hubbys claim to re open his SC file back in Sept 2010, I have ALSO updated our regional VA office by fax...he is now on the "hardship" list..in hopes to move his claim faster ...as since after his stroke...his whole body has deteriorated beyond words.... I also faxed in form 21-4142 ...to release all other med records outside VA.....very important as he has 11 outside medical contacts. I also am in the process of getting 2, possibly 3 of hubbys doctors to submitt their IMO to VA in near future.. I will also submitt something in writing myself, as spouse who is with him 24/7 . I will go into EVERY DETAIL, to outlinee SC deteriation, especially post stroke. I feel positive today! I'm doing my best , to help hubbys claim. He cannot speak nor write, but he is totally coherant. So I tell him the steps i'm going through...he has had big smile the last few days. He knows I'm on this web site for help. Im happy, as I see hubby is happy with all the help the military has given me, as I go through this process which is "all greek to me". I cannot thank you enough!!!!!!1 :)

PS PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF I HAVE LEFT OUT ANYTHING THAT I SHOULD ALSO BE DOING AS WE WAIT.....ANYBODY? what has worked for you? PLEASE CHIME IN :)

HOW COME Nobody told me to file for a&a? i have no idea whats available for hubby....since sept 2010....did anybody mention a&a? help please thanks