VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Just Another Boring Update On My Claim

Rate this question

Guest Jim S.

Question

Guest Jim S.

Hello to all and praying all is as well as can be expected or better. As usual, I take one step forward and two steps backwards. One thing seems to have improved a little, but then others have gotten worse or remain problematic.

I am by myself yet again, my long time Step-Father, Friend, Companion, Room Mate and Fishing Buddy has finally lost the battle with Cancer. This past year seem to have gone by in a blur in retrospect, having driven into town to visit my Step-Father while he was being looked after by the VA's equivalent to a long term care facility. I pray every day for the care given to him while their, although seemingly short personel all the time, they provided better care that I would have thought and made my Step-Father's last year in relative comfort for one in his condition. The fact that they had thought he wouldn't last a week when I had to take him into the VA and he lived for another year, is testament to their endevers and care they provided.

Now that he is gone, my routene has been uphieved by the emotions of losing one so close and the legal processes of being his exectutor of his limited estate and seeing to his wishes and disposition of his remains.

So consummed was my time between him in the VA hospital and my own physical and mental condition, I had little if anything left to work or monitor my claim. Today I called to check up on my claim only to learn what I had believed would be the case. They are still awaiting my claim file from Social Security and records from the Central File where any additional records might be.

As is the norm, the wheels at the VA move ever slowly to their own rate and little can be done to speed this process, unless you have the ear of well placed persons of influence, for which I have none.

Life goes on, even knowing that my Step-Father would eventually die from his Cancer, I am still feeling the shock of his passing and dealing with it will take time for things to return to a semblance of normalcy.

Now more than ever, I must do what I can to win my claim, If anything it would be my only tribute to my Step-Father, for the support he gave me in the beginning and even while he was in the hospital, his strength and courage shown while fighting the losing battle with the Cancer demands nothing less of me in my fight with the VA.

He never gave up, nor shall I.

Jim S. B)

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Jim

Send the VA your SSA award letter and information yourself. That is what I did because the lazy jerks were just sitting on it. You know they even held my claim up because they said they did not have a certified copy of my DD214. I have been service connected for 35 years and when I asked for an increase they tell me they can't find my DD214. What BS!!! I sent the dim wits a certified copy that I had. They help my TDIU up because they said they did not have my separation papers from the post office where I retired on disability. Again, I sent them a copy myself. It would have taken them another year to get it.

Guest jstacy

Jim, It is good to see your posts back here, Its been awhile. I am sorry for your loss As a fellow fisherman, A good Friend and fishing partner is hard to lose. I hope all goes well for you. You have the will to continue the VA battle. Again, Good to seee you posting here again.

JJ

Edited by jstacy

• HadIt.com Elder

Jim sometimes things just suck big time but you still have the memories. Hopefully over time you can find another fishing buddy.

Its funny how people can come into your life. About 10 years ago an old guy started yelling at me and it turned out to be a guy I had worked with when I first got out of the Army and had not seen in years. Now we eat lunch at least once a week and email and talk on phone several times a week. What is really weird is he recognized me and I never recognized him till he told me who he was.

Don't be a stranger and work your claim. Good luck.