VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Could A Deserted Vn Vet Be Eligible For Benefits?

Rate this question

halos2

Question

Apparently this Vet and his brother were both Army, stationed in Vietnam, and their brother was Navy, stationed in Nam too; anyway, the one went on R&R to the US and once home he decided to help his father out and never went back to NAM.

No one ever tried to contact him ever, including the Army. He continued to help his family all these years. He was diagnosed with Diabetes, some years back, IHD, and other presumptive diseases. His brother asked if he would be eligible for benefits? Seems like he would be under a court martial, yes or no?

Meanwhile these other 2 brothers who served there both have diabetes, and IHD are both have been 100% TDIU VA since 2000, and 2002.

I just recently met this brother who was filling me in with this info, and I was at a loss for any of this. Usually someone asks more questions for conditions related to service and honorable discharges.

So any hint to tell this fellow?

Edited by halos2

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

He is a number 4 Deserter if nothing has been finalized from the Army. He could always request his records from the archives and see what turns up there.

You don't mention how long he served or during what time period. If he went home on RR I think it had to be under emergency conditions to even get RR to home but not sure.

If he has waited this long to clear this up another few months should be no big deal.

I hated carter with his amnesty BS so I guess you can figure how I feel about him getting any kind of benefits but that is just me.

The only way you are going to get anything cleared up is to get him to come forward and get his records and go from there.

• HadIt.com Elder

I don't think a deserter from a war zone should get benefits. That is a slap in the face of every guy who did his tour. There was a reason that unmarried guys were not allowed to go home to the USA on R&R. The military was pretty sure they would never come back. Perhaps he can get benefits somehow though a legal loophole, but I would not help him do that.

If he ,in fact, is listed as a deserter- he wont get anything from the VA:

http://www4.va.gov/vetapp08/files2/0815356.txt

My brother was Navy on ship, off shore, aircraft carrier, while I was in country. This person would be listed as a deserter so he would have a tough road to travel. Surprised he got RR in the states unless he volenteered to extend. Even married people could even go as far as Hawaii it they met their wife.