VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Disability Compensation

Rate this question

rwasson49

Question

I've just started this process and its very confusing. I am a Vietnam vet serving with 3/187/101 Airborne in the Ashau Valley and sand flats near Quang Tri from July 69 through July 70. I just completed treatment for Stage 3 cancer involving the epiglottis which is part of the larnyx and in recuperation from all the chemo and radiation. I'm currently just trying to get back to eating without my feeding tube having lost a total of 78 lbs. I attend weekly sessions for PTSD at the Vet Center. I also have substantial hearing loss for which the VA center is providing hearing aids this month. I think I am on the right track for claiming compensation by contacting my Veterans Affairs office and letting them handle the paperwork. Not being able to work, I'm curious as to what compensation I may be entitled to. I'm not greedy but they say I've earned it and I tend to agree. I currently draw a little over $1000 for my military retirement and about the same amount Social Security Disability and no other income. Will this income affect any veteran compensation I may be entitled to? Any advice or information would be appreciated.

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Your income will not effect your compensation. Income is only considered for pension which is an income based program.

I've just started this process and its very confusing. I am a Vietnam vet serving with 3/187/101 Airborne in the Ashau Valley and sand flats near Quang Tri from July 69 through July 70. I just completed treatment for Stage 3 cancer involving the epiglottis which is part of the larnyx and in recuperation from all the chemo and radiation. I'm currently just trying to get back to eating without my feeding tube having lost a total of 78 lbs. I attend weekly sessions for PTSD at the Vet Center. I also have substantial hearing loss for which the VA center is providing hearing aids this month. I think I am on the right track for claiming compensation by contacting my Veterans Affairs office and letting them handle the paperwork. Not being able to work, I'm curious as to what compensation I may be entitled to. I'm not greedy but they say I've earned it and I tend to agree. I currently draw a little over $1000 for my military retirement and about the same amount Social Security Disability and no other income. Will this income affect any veteran compensation I may be entitled to? Any advice or information would be appreciated.

As a military retiree, you should check out the DOD information on Combat Related Special Compensation (CRSC) and Concurrent Receipt of Disability Pay (CRDP). Unless you qualify for one or the other (or both) of these programs (and you probably will), some of your military retirement pay could be offset by VA compensation. You can do a Google search and read about both of these. Good luck!

As a military retiree, you should check out the DOD information on Combat Related Special Compensation (CRSC) and Concurrent Receipt of Disability Pay (CRDP). Unless you qualify for one or the other (or both) of these programs (and you probably will), some of your military retirement pay could be offset by VA compensation. You can do a Google search and read about both of these. Good luck!

You can only qualify for one or the other, your not entilted to CRSC if your getting CRDP. I'd personally would apply for PTSD and the cancer. If found service connected for the Cancer, you will get a temp rating for the treatment. After six to eight months you will be rerated on the residuals of the cancer. Do not down play the symptoms. The more disabled you are, the higher the rating. Also if you now snore as a result of the cancer, please get a sleep study. If you have Sleep Apnea secondary to the cancer, you can get service connected for this. Should you require a CPAP, you will have a 50% disability and automatically qualify for CRDP. Should you get 60% for the residuals of the Cancer, 50% for PTSD, and 50% for Sleep Apnea, you'll have a 90% rating. This will give you another $21,000 a year in income (compensation). If your rated 70% for PTSD, your rating will be 94% but rounded down to 90%. If you had Tinnitus (only a 10% rating) then your rating would be 95% and you would be 100% P&T ($2,673) You should apply for all. Depending were you live, your state/county could offer you a tax exemption for property tax (if rated 100%). Since you would qualify for CRDP, you would have a total income of about $4,673 a month or about $56,076 a year. Don't let anyone tell you your entitled to both CRDP and CRSC. The law only allows you one or the other. I'm a former VSO (for the state of Virginia) and I work for the Army Wounded Warrior Program. I deal with both CRDP and CRSC every day.

You can only qualify for one or the other, your not entilted to CRSC if your getting CRDP. I'd personally would apply for PTSD and the cancer. If found service connected for the Cancer, you will get a temp rating for the treatment. After six to eight months you will be rerated on the residuals of the cancer. Do not down play the symptoms. The more disabled you are, the higher the rating. Also if you now snore as a result of the cancer, please get a sleep study. If you have Sleep Apnea secondary to the cancer, you can get service connected for this. Should you require a CPAP, you will have a 50% disability and automatically qualify for CRDP. Should you get 60% for the residuals of the Cancer, 50% for PTSD, and 50% for Sleep Apnea, you'll have a 90% rating. This will give you another $21,000 a year in income (compensation). If your rated 70% for PTSD, your rating will be 94% but rounded down to 90%. If you had Tinnitus (only a 10% rating) then your rating would be 95% and you would be 100% P&T ($2,673) You should apply for all. Depending were you live, your state/county could offer you a tax exemption for property tax (if rated 100%). Since you would qualify for CRDP, you would have a total income of about $4,673 a month or about $56,076 a year. Don't let anyone tell you your entitled to both CRDP and CRSC. The law only allows you one or the other. I'm a former VSO (for the state of Virginia) and I work for the Army Wounded Warrior Program. I deal with both CRDP and CRSC every day.

Good point, etihwr, but I did not imply he would be entitled to both. I was merely pointing out that he could be qualified for either or both. Obviously, he would need to make a choice if that were the case. I'm sure that as a "former VSO (for the state of Virginia)" you ran into people who were qualified for both, didn't you?" Thanks for your service.

Edited by JustPLS

I suggest that the hearing loss be added to the claim if there is any potential way it can be attributed to your MOS or combat service.

"in the Ashau Valley " That is where my husband was when AO was sprayed on him as they decimated a tropical jungle near the maneuvers.(Vietnam 1965-66 USMC Amphibious Tractor Battalion)

Info here on these programs and also DFAS can be googled for more CRSC CRDP info.