VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd Claim Dropped!

Rate this question

ranger11bv

Question

I was told that my PTSD claim was dropped because I didnt respond to correspondence from the VA in a timely manner. I NEVER received these! I asked that my claim be reopened because I never received the notices. This was about 2 weeks ago, nothing yet. What should I do?

Edited by ranger11bv

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I was told that my PTSD claim was dropped because I didnt respond to correspondence from the VA in a timely manner. I NEVER received these! I asked that my claim be reopened because I never received the notices. This was about 2 weeks ago, nothing yet. What should I do?

Do you have a VSO? If not didn't you wonder as to why you did not hear anything?

Anyhow make sure you put it in writing the circumstances as you believe them to be and keep a copy. Either send it to your RO or Fax it too!

That is about all that I know of at this point. Oh one other thing ask the RO to send you a copy of everything they sent out and where it was sent. Of course give them the right address. If you have an access to a fax machine ask to have them faxed.

Oh, the cruel irony of the VA. They blast from the mountaintops how they're bending over backward to help PTSD vets, but they can't grasp the concept that a person with PTSD might miss a deadline or lose a piece of paper. That doesn't even begin to take into account the way that they constantly lose papers (even with the Delivery Confirmation and/or Signature Confirmation) but won't admit that they often don't actually mail notices to the correct address.

Sorry this happened to you. I'd cry, too.

• HadIt.com Elder

Don't expect the VA do anything in a short time period. Next, you really need to find out what you didn't get. Finally, can you say what you had sent in on your PTSD claim.

(Was the PTSD claim accompanied by any documents, evidence, diagnosis, etc. Often, the VA sends out generic letters, and these ask for such things as sources (addresses, etc of treating doctors, hospitals, and so forth.)

This may be what you didn't get, so the VA may have stopped doing anything, then used a non response from you to take the claim "off the books".

Being a PTSD sufferer does not help dealing with the VA. I miss stuff all the time dates, appointments and what not. I can't tell you the number of times my memory of late has let me down. That and the fact that stress just seems to blow me away is if not the main reason is one of the big reasons I don't like communicating with people. I feel that I am always taken wrong and don't understand why.

I have been able to win my awards with the VA but it really has taken a toll on me and my heart condition I feel.

I wish I could trust people to do the right thing by me but I don't!