VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Peripheral Neuropathy

Rate this question

vmo

Question

Service connected for left leg radiculopathy due to spinal fusion, stenosis, degener, spondylolithesis, arthritis, yada-yada. *During EMG exam at VAMC to ascertain if increase in rating was warranted for leg radiculopathy, EMG physician now identifies "polyneuropathy" of the leg in addition to radiculopathy. **Has any one ran into this or read about this before. I am sure the VARO will use this nonservice connected diagnosis of polyneuropathy to deny an increase. I don't quite understand how they differentiate between the two, like which one is predominent? EMG diagnosed both conditions. The radiculopathy is from my sc spine, the polyneuropathy cause (etiology)is unknown. I am not diabetic or alcoholic. The only thing I can figure etiology wise is near 20 months on the ground in Vietnam--Agent Orange Exposure(?). Ironic, I believe "neuropathy" is (I think) the only remaining Agent Orange condition with a time limit. (Unless type II diabetic.).

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

I have only seen one award at the BVA for Peripheral neuropathy as directly service connected without finding of Diabetes.

The veteran's SMRs revealed PN while in service in Vietnam.

Have you considered getting an Independent medical opinion for support of this claim?

• HadIt.com Elder

For AO PN you have to be DX'ed within one year of exposure and the symtoms must resolve within two years of exposure.

How can anyone possibly be SC'ed for this? If the symptoms resolve what would be your rating anyway.....O%? I can see PN due to some kind of spinal problem or DMII. PN was one of the first and most flawed presumptives for AO.

Service connecting PN due to Agent Orange Exp---nearly impossible any more. The law provides an easy out for the VA. Just like the "bed rest" requirement pertaining to IVDS-inter-vertebrae-disc-syndrome. Bed rest is just about never prescribed long term by physicians---but, it is a requirement in the rating schedule---another easy out for VARO. Sorry, I tend to ramble on some times. My point is the VA puts the carrot in front of the horse, then they shoot the horse---the horse "ain't" never gonna get it. **So when the general public sees in the newspaper about benefits for veteran's, they don't realize the battle most vets fight to get them. Thanks for the input and will consider getting an IMO.