VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ftca

Tayo

Question

Ms. Berta or administrators,

I tried emailing you Ms. Berta but I couldn't. New things have come about concerning my case and Ms. Berta,,, I see you have a lot of experience. Is there anyway I can email you?

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

3) But as Carlie asked -can you be more specific here as to what exact malpractice occurred and what resulting disability they gave you?

---> Sure. Failure to diagnose is the main.

** I don't know that this will be a winner as an 1151.

My care-givers and I were told,,, there is nothing they can do for us and they are unsure what is causing my dementia. wacko.gifsad.gif

**I would surely continue seeking answer on what is the cause of your dementia.

I also now have PTSD caused by the treatment of the VAMC.

** You will need this statement to be in writing by a credentialed mental health professional

supported with full medical rationale and it would be filed as an 1151 claim.

JMHO

Hello Ms. Carlie,,,

3) But as Carlie asked -can you be more specific here as to what exact malpractice occurred and what resulting disability they gave you?

---> Sure. Failure to diagnose is the main.

** I don't know that this will be a winner as an 1151.

---> I agree,,, may not be a winner in that it will be covered under the case. The failure to diagnose,,, with that,,, there is a lot of stuff under that. Meaning,,, they not only failurd to diagnose the cause of the dementia,,, but many of it associations (hypothyroidism, Vit. B12 deficiency, Adrenal insufficiency). Further,,, other ailments where not diagnosed. When I mean,,, not diagnosed,,, I had signs, symptoms and diagnostic labs that are "diagnostic."

The issues went untreated/undiagnosed,,, so,,, I got worse.

The delay in diagnosis and treatment of specific ailments lead to the dementia. The work-up of the dementia was not appropriately done (standard medical care was not followed,,, multiple times). Not sure if I added I was discharged from a clinic without follow-up on abnormal labs and ordered labs. Another clinic cancelled me,,, twice,,, without follow-up. This clinic was to follow-up on my condition. More so,,, that repeated T4,,, they wrote the order for it but did not actually place the order. That was another theme throughout my treatment. This continued for 4 years. When they finally drew the lab,,, it was diagnostic for hypothyroidism. They drew it again,,, diagnostic, hypothyroidism. They reported in the notes and to us,,, all endocrine labs normal. Also,,, my testosterone levels where low AND my Vitamin B12/ Vitamin D. All low.

In my 2 admissions with the VA,,, they noted the diagnostic labs but reported,,, "normal."

-----------------------------

My care-givers and I were told,,, there is nothing they can do for us and they are unsure what is causing my dementia.

**I would surely continue seeking answer on what is the cause of your dementia.

The old VAMC told us this. However,,, the new VAMC told us what was wrong and why. The new VAMC then gave us the prognosis. They further named the specific physicians involved and stated why they were wrong. Yes,,, they even put this in my records. WOW.

So,,, Once I came to my current VAMC, they too,,, reviewed my history showed that there were diagnosable ailments which went undiagnosed thus leading to " irreversible brain damage" (I don't like that word, but it is what it is).

The name of my dementia is "Metabolic associated dementia." The specific cause of my dementia is untreated and undiagnosed Hypothyroidism and Vitamin B12 deficiency. What happened,,, they did not work-up metabolic/endocrine associations for my cognitive dysfunction. If they would have caught it,,, complete reversibility would be expected. However,,, they didn't. They never followed protocol,,, they did not interpret lab results correctly,,, etc., etc., etc. So,,, years later,,, my condition got worse,,, caused seizure activity,,, and Boom. What could have been reversible is now not. My base line is one where I need help with ADL's.

That is why physicians at the new VAMC is so angry and helping me with this. They literally put in my record, "---VAMC negligence,,, delayed diagnosis,,, they then sighted all labs of when I should have been diagnosed,,, they did accurate work-ups and sighted "was not performed at ---VAMC."

It was a mess.

--------------------------------

I also now have PTSD caused by the treatment of the VAMC.

** You will need this statement to be in writing by a credentialed mental health professional

supported with full medical rationale and it would be filed as an 1151 claim.

As for my PTSD. My psychiatrist and psychologist have said it and is working with me. So,,, I have the diagnosis. Once more,,, it is part of my claim in total. I think, if settled or if we win the case at trial,,, I will not be able to be compensated through 1151 due to payment in the settlement or trial.

Keep in mind,,, there is a lot more in the case. I am sure I left some things out. All in all,,, they didn't order labs,,, misread diagnostic labs,,, did not appropriately work-up conditions,,, did not follow up on abnormal lab results,,, ---> All of this lead to worsened conditions which caused irreversible brain damage. This damage made it impossible to practice as a physician,,, as I was trained.

Hope this gave a bit more clarity. If not,,, please let me know. So,,, the purpose here isn't a 1151 claim,,, but of an FTCA claim.

Ms. Carlie,,, get this,,, I was told that they will also try to come with me with an "Apology." What??? Is this so??? They will try to first by us off??? Is this what they do to other veterans???

URGHHHH sad.gif

If I can't work,,, I just want to help anyway I can. Veterans need some type of help with this medical care. It is just,,, URGHHHH,,, a physician saying a B/P of (for instance) 98/58 is hypertensive???? WHAT??? A blood glucose of (for example 25) is not hypogycemic (sp),,, WHAT???

This is what causes serious illness and even death. I would have been one of those who died. I was lucky,,, blessed. Now,,, I want to help others.

Metabolic associated dementia can certainly have low B 12 as a cause.

http://neuro.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/content/full/12/3/389

Hypothyroidism also if untreated can cause dementia:

http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/news/hypothyroidism_frequently_misdiagnosed_or_undiagnosed.htm

You are in a situation where early misdiagnoses or a failure of proper diagnosis has snowballed. Exactly why my husband is dead due to VA health care.

I hope your IMos were prepared carefully taking the VA step by step.

What is the status of the FTCA claim at this point?

On the SF 95 I hope you asked for MILLIONS!

You HAVE helped vets already- if all this causes a vet out there to read over their VA med recs carefully and sees something that seems wrong- and questions it- then you have helped vets already.

When my husband started to question his care and filed a 1151, the President at that time said in a speech that the VA had the BEST Government run health care system in the world.(1994)

He got embarrarsed by his 1151 claim and almost tried to drop it until I reminded him the President at that time didn't have a clue on VA health Care as he was not a veteran .

He dropped dead 6 months later due to VA health care.FTCA and 1151 award.

You present a valid case but hopefully you have very strong medical opinions to support all this.

A vet successfully proved that he incurred PTSD by fear of the VA due to his multiple misdiagnosis.

That too will take a medical opinion but that is not impossible at all.

The prime extent of damages will be however, your condition today physically and mentally due to the dementia as compared to before they started to commit negligence.

My greatest concern (and I do believe they -the VA- saves thousands of lives ) is that there are vets out there who also have been malpracticed on and they dont know it yet and might never know.

VA almost got away with 4 years of negligence at one VA and then an attempted cover up of all that negligence-- which I found in med recs from the second VA.

It wasn't easy at first to find the evidence I needed and then it became alarmingly obvious.

They almost got away with it.That still bothers me a lot.

Everyone reading this needs to know exactly what is what in your personal med recs and your care.

Even Blood chem reports and values can be deciphered on the internet these days.

The internet has made it easy to find good medical sites that discuss your disabilities and appropriate meds and treatment for them.

Medical Malpractice happens in private hospitals too -as well as in the VA system.

Edited by Berta

Ms. Berta,,, yes we did ask for a lot,,, millions. They went through every single appointment I had from January 2005 to present. Well,,, each appointment had something wrong. What got me was finding out lab results that were reported as normal. sad.gif I mean,,, how? It just fit my comprehension of medicine,,, what I was taught,,, every part of this is so,,, weird. Then,,, to see the anger from my current providers.

I agree with you,,, I now believe that EVERYONE needs to get a copy of their medical records,,, AFTER EACH VISIT. It is difficult to associate labs,,, but if a lab (for instance,,, Vitamin B12,,, if labs like that is closer to the low or high [though normal],,, question the results). In my case,,, I couldn't do to my illness. My caregivers didn't know what to look for. We trusted my caregiver's.

Now,,, I have "pan-hypopituitarism." Though rare,,, the main components of the dysfunction is the same as the regular. Meaning,,, symptoms are the same. In all cases,,, my providers where looking for primary conditions. My symptoms showed the condition but the test,,, example the TSH,,, showed normal. However,,, the normal was a bit low,,, referred to as "low bioactivity."

Which means a follow-up is needed,,, T4. But,,, in my case,,, the T4 and Free T4 was a written order but never actually placed. sad.gif

That goes for the other ailments associated with "pan-hypopituitarism."

With me,,, these are the dysfunctional hormaones: Testosterone, LH, FSH, TSH, Cortisol,,, ACTH. My anterior pituitary hormones are dysfunctional. My posterior pituitary hormones are now border-line. The nutritional side,,, Vitamin B12, Vitamin D,,, is dysfunctional.

The importance of these hormones and vitamins is so great. However,,, again,,, a dysfunction in them needs to be found once cognitive association has started. If not,,, you get what happens to me. know have left temporal seizures,, short-term memory loss, aphasia (word-finding, etc), among other things.

I cry trying to understand how values of low bioactive TSH, low T4, low Free T4 cane be reported as abnormal,,, multiple times.

I cry trying to understand how values of inappropriately B12 values, high homocysteine levels, low RBC, Low HBG, high T. Bili can be interpreted as normal.

I cry trying to understand how consistent LDL high LDL values is reported as normal.

How high creatinine, high Lipoprotiene A,,, URGHHHHH!!! I simply cry,,, why was that reported as normal.

How does one report low Cortisol, low ACTH,,, as normal?

How does one diagnoses dementia without working up a cause for dementia?

Why discharge me without investigating abnormal results?

Why give me medication I am allergic to?

Why give me medication that's documented as a "do not give?"

With that,,, why give me a prescribed medication because I asked for it,,, and then state that you give it to me because I asked for it and then right,,, "I don't think he has hypothyroid dysfunction but since he asked for synthroid, I will give it to him.? WHAT????

You know,,, I was failed. I was failed tremendously by the VA. They could have killed me,,, especially when I went through the Addisonian Crisis. The first two time,,, the VA said I was dehydrated. The third time I experienced an Addisonian Crisis,,, a private hospital diagnosed it and everything else,,, the VA confirmed it,,, then retracted it,,,, then I another Addisonian Crisis was beginning. It was caught.

I literally scarred of the VA. I know where I am,,, they are truly helping me. But,,, my fear is there,,, really there.

Just,,, whatever happens and however the case goes,,, I want other veterans,,, other people to be aware of their labs. I want people to know the illnesses aren't diagnosed from only one labs. Labs are used together. For instance,,, a low HGB can only be a low HGB. But, a low HGB, low RBC, high T.Bili,,, and consistent values of such,,, think anemia. I can go on and on. If anyone gets abnormal values,,, question it.

IF DOCTORS TELL YOU THAT ALL LABS ARE NORMAL,,, ASK TO SEE THE LABS. BETTER YET,,, ASK THEM TO EXPLAIN THE LABS AND HOW THEY CORRELATE WITH YOU COMPLAINTS OR DIAGNOSIS. When we see a physician,,, that is our time. We pay their salary,,, through taxes or co-pay,,, whatever.

I don't want other to turn out like me. Ms. Berta,,, honestly,,, I don;t want others to even go through what you went through. OMG,,, I can't imagine.

I have notes,,, even notes written to respond to this email. I'm 36,,, and my sex drive is no better than a broke old man. Don't get me wrong,,, it works but,,, well,,, ya know. That's kind of personal.

Anywho,,,

It's hard (wrong time to say that). I mean,,, it's difficult living feeling like I need a "baby-sitter." My independence is gone. It's hard having trouble remembering,,, being tired,,, hard to grasp with your dominant hand,,, getting weak after walks. Then,,, it's hard knowing and understanding the specific's of what is going on with you. To know why it happened. To understand the labs and the signs and symptoms associated with those labs... and then I am lead back to the why's and how's?

THEN,,, the thoughts are ever going. I ask myself,,, why can't I forget that?

So,,, I have another why?

The case goes on. I am still waiting for an answer. I asked,,, will the VA really settle with a payment compensating my career? If so,,, are they going to try to hush me? Just in case,,, this is why I am talking now.

Yes,,,, there are good VAMC,,, I am at one now. Doesn't stop my distrust of the VAMC.

I actually wonder if they used me as a test subject. Ms. Berta,,, as you saw the test used to diagnose my condition,,, sadly,,, they used only TSH and B12. They did not correlate the others. That goes along with all other ailments I have.

Once more,,, 28 pills a day,,, if I pee on a plant,,, it'll disintegrate. ---> go ahead and laugh. In situations like this,,, we have to laugh. At the same time,,, we have to stand together and right the wrongs.

So,,, this is where I am. Thanks all,,, Ms. Berta, Ms Carlie,,, thanks. I will keep you all posted.

Please,,, get copies of each visit. Ask your provider to interpret the results. As your provider how those results associate with your ailment. Then,,, go home and look up the results yourself. If you have questions,,, write them down. Ask,,, Ask,,, Ask. I do not want what happened to me to happen to you.

(((HUG)))

Tayo