VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Fever Unknown Origin In Vietnam

Rate this question

Dolphin25

Question

When I was in Vietnam I was hospitalized for a couple of weeks for a very high Fever of 104 plus. I was kept under a cold blanket to keep my fever down. I don't remember too much during this time as I was semi-conscious, weak and just sick. There was never a diagnosis for

anything and they called it FUO or Fever Unknown Origin. I have tried to read up on this and some doctors have studied it and it could be anything really. One Vet had parasites after all these years that caused some serious problems later in life. Has anyone here had this while they were in Vietnam??? Some also believe it could be related to Agent Orange and it could be the or a cause as I served as an RTO with the 2/27 Wolfhounds 25th Inf. Div and we humped all through the dead foliage more than a few times, then I was a door-gunner on a huey and I was around it at that time also so who knows. I really don't feel like going through a whole series of test but during the past 12 years my conditioned has definately worsened to the point where I need help in everything I do anymore and I am curious as to whether

any other Veterans had this Fever and if so was there any follow-up???

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

I had it but they found it was scrub typhus. They treated with antibiotics and it subsided. No residuals that I know of. Good luck!

pr

When I was in Vietnam I was hospitalized for a couple of weeks for a very high Fever of 104 plus. I was kept under a cold blanket to keep my fever down. I don't remember too much during this time as I was semi-conscious, weak and just sick. There was never a diagnosis for

anything and they called it FUO or Fever Unknown Origin. I have tried to read up on this and some doctors have studied it and it could be anything really. One Vet had parasites after all these years that caused some serious problems later in life. Has anyone here had this while they were in Vietnam??? Some also believe it could be related to Agent Orange and it could be the or a cause as I served as an RTO with the 2/27 Wolfhounds 25th Inf. Div and we humped all through the dead foliage more than a few times, then I was a door-gunner on a huey and I was around it at that time also so who knows. I really don't feel like going through a whole series of test but during the past 12 years my conditioned has definately worsened to the point where I need help in everything I do anymore and I am curious as to whether

any other Veterans had this Fever and if so was there any follow-up???

i had the same treatment in 69/70 i got sick and passed out and next i know i am in a tub like thing and they are packing ice around me but it does not seem to be cold.... i was in and out 7 days... never was told why it happened i was a gunner in the 229th 1st air car in Dau Tieng

Hello brother wolfhound. I was with the 1/27th also 69 70 mostly 70. The guy's in my unit had malaria with a very high fever.

cuchi

Dolphin25

Hey brother Wolfhound, I was with 1/27 Wolfhounds 69-70. Good luck with your claims.

60-man

• HadIt.com Elder

The problem is - - - How can you connect the Vietnam service with your present and past problems?

A.O Presumptive, if any of the conditions are on the "list". (By far, the easiest way to go, since the heart of this method is a current diagnosis of conditions on the "list".)

If not A.O. presumptive - -

1. Show some sort of treatment history going back to Vietnam service to current times.

2. A diagnosis of the problems/conditions now.

3. An "expert" medical opinion (IMO) relating your current problems/conditions somehow to Vietnam service and the problems you had during Vietnam service.

You really want to obtain a copy of your complete service records, including all treatment and hospital records before the VA gets their grubby hands on them.

The sooner your are able to file a claim with the VA, the better, in terms of time and money. Just make sure that you have the necessary documents, records, diagnosis, etc.

You can submit copies with the claim. Sometimes it helps. If nothing else, you can usually start a claim by using the VA's new schemes on line.

"High Temperature" is a symptom of something else. it's important to find out what, since the cause is what you will be filing a claim for.