VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

First Visit

Rate this question

packrat

Question

I am going for my first VA visit on the 30th. A retired master gunny told me their is no doubt at least in his mind that I have PTSD. My hearing is really bad and I am very concerned that if I tell them exactly what is on my mind I might get tossed. Do you hold back or tell it like it is?

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

"Does anything I say make sense?"

ALL of it does!

'Can they keep me there against my will?" ABsolutely NOT!!!!

I worked for VA as a vet center volunteer and then I married a PTSD vet patient ( USMC)----so I began a long relationship with the VA myself.I think you will find that there are some wonderful people at VA who will understand what you are going through.

Although I gripe about the VA-in many areas the VA is excellent in their care-and one of those areas in my opinion -is PTSD care.

Marble Mountain yeah- near White Elephant and Monkey Mt?

"Trying not to make this a sounding board but I have no one else I will share this with" You are sure to find many other Vietnam vets here at hadit as well as at the VA itself who truly understand you.

And many VA medical professionals served in Vietnam too.

One of the worse things PTSD can do is cause a veteran to turn on their significant others.

And yet these are the individuals who can give you the most support of all.

The VAMC you deal with might even offer some help for the spouse.

My husband's shrink often asked me to attend the PTSD sessions along with my husband.

Our local VAMC (Bath NY) even had a program for PTSD wives and other significant others)I dont know if that program is still in place.

I feel you are definitely doing the right thing.

Thank you so much. I realized just today that I leave. When I say I leave I mean I go some place else even if I am in the middle of something. The folks around me know I have done this as I play with my mustsche while I am gone. I am in such deep thought I call it my wheels are turning. I always explain it as I was trying to solve a problem or come up with a solution. Only now I realize I am not so sure I am thinking about anything.I can be right in the middle of something a meeting,a conversation any thing. I know that can't make sense. How can you be in such deep thought that you are not concious of what is going on around you and not remember the thoughts? Now I am rambling again.