VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Partial C&p Results

Rate this question

Papa

Question

On another post I indicated that I got a letter from QTC where I should contact my Private Doctor ASAP since my blood test showed my Platelets were low. However, they also gave me information about my chest X-Rays, it showed mild cardiomegaly with minimal central congestion. Is not IHD a cause of cardiomegaly? I also showed moderate osteoarthritis involving the Thoracic spine diffusely. Could this not be caused by a sports injury? I was severely injured in a baseball game, and I did put in a claim for it back in the 1970s. I was denied because the VA said the injury never happened, and my AL service officer said if it is not there it is not there, and plus I was neigh and young. But, what makes me sick is I located the information within 5 minutes after I got my medical records. I resubmitted, but they still deny that it happened. Should I enlarge my medical records and fedex it to them?

Papa

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

With a claim going back to the 70's, a denial, and the VA's reiterated position that the injury did not occur, you are going to have quite a time. The possible retro alone is cause for major concern from your side, and the VA's.

I believe the VA may continue to evade the issues. At this point, If I were in your situation, I'd collect all the pertinent records, index them, summarize your claim(s) and obtain a lawyer.

Why? In the first place, the lawyer (assuming the lawyer is qualified), will notice things that you or I might not.

Second, the VA tends to respond to written communications from a lawyer much faster than from a mere veteran.

Third, It shows that you are serious.

Cardiomegaly can occur for various reasons. IHD, also occurs from various causes. The thing to remember is that IHD is A.O. presumptive. A diagnosis of IHD is really needed in a VA claim. Conditions leading to it, and considered evidence of IHD include CAD and other related conditions.

IHD is a result, not a cause.

A possibly useful reference, just one of many.

http://www.downloadheart.us/what-is-cardiomegaly.html

On another post I indicated that I got a letter from QTC where I should contact my Private Doctor ASAP since my blood test showed my Platelets were low. However, they also gave me information about my chest X-Rays, it showed mild cardiomegaly with minimal central congestion. Is not IHD a cause of cardiomegaly? I also showed moderate osteoarthritis involving the Thoracic spine diffusely. Could this not be caused by a sports injury? I was severely injured in a baseball game, and I did put in a claim for it back in the 1970s. I was denied because the VA said the injury never happened, and my AL service officer said if it is not there it is not there, and plus I was neigh and young. But, what makes me sick is I located the information within 5 minutes after I got my medical records. I resubmitted, but they still deny that it happened. Should I enlarge my medical records and fedex it to them?

Papa

Chuck -that reply you gave was Excellent-

"Is not IHD a cause of cardiomegaly"

Chuck stated:"IHD is a result, not a cause" and he is correct.

I have had numerous Vietnam vets locally and elsewhere ask me to determine if their heart condition is IHD. In some cases it is obvious and the words ischemia (specifically referring to their heart as other organs can have ischemia) appear in their med recs.

I have cardio background medically which I needed to acquire for my past claims.

BUT I am no doctor and cannot diagnose IHD. Although most heart disease is ischemic- not all of it is.

I think we all have to be careful in assessing some claims for IHD- because that is a medical diagnosis and none of us are qualified here to give any diagnosis.

If the veteran's heart disease falls into th

Chuck -that reply you gave was Excellent!!!!!-

"Is not IHD a cause of cardiomegaly"

Chuck stated:"IHD is a result, not a cause" and he is absolutely correct.

I have had numerous Vietnam vets locally and elsewhere ask me to determine if their heart condition is IHD. In some cases it is obvious and the words ischemia (specifically referring to their heart as other organs can have ischemia) appear in their med recs.

BUT I am no doctor and cannot diagnose IHD. Although most heart disease is ischemic- not all of it is.

I think we all have to be careful in assessing some claims for IHD- because that is a medical diagnosis and none of us are qualified here to give any diagnosis.

If the veteran's heart disease falls into the medical terminology in the IHD regulations, it might possibly be diagnosed differently than IHD,in th clinical record, but is in fact IHD.

The only person who can determine and diagnose IHD,however,is a medical doctor.

VA did a good thing by offering potential new AO presumptive vets, who have private care, blank forms for their private doctors to fill out and someone posted those forms here at hadit (they are also at the VA web site too)

for the 3 new presumptives.

The actual IHD regs and the Fed Register proposed regulation contain what is and what isn't IHD for VA compensation purposes.

EKGs on the top bar of the strip will state "ischemia" if the EKG has revealed a past cardiac incident.And any EKG stating that should have been followed up by treatment and definitive diagnose in the med recs.