VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Knee Injury

Rate this question

Rhodesia

Question

Hello. I had a knee injury back in 2001 on active duty. I had a torn Meniscus/ACL tear. I had surgery and received 10% VA disibility from the VA for this condition. I had surgery again on the same knee in 2010 and the VA Dr. not only worked on my torn Meniscus/ACL again because the tear had gotten bigger through the years and plus the military left some debree around my knee cap which resulted in having arthritus in that area. Well he did some shaving of the bone which resulted with continuing pain after the surgery. The same Dr. has me is a ACL Metal Brace which I have been told I will be wearing this for a long time.

I have completed my C&P exam for an increase due to the second surgery and now wearing a ACL metal brace. I have never been to a C&P exam that only took 15 minutes. it was like I was in and then out. All he did was looked at my brace, and looked at my knee, took some measurments of the knee, and out the door I went. So I don't know if that is a good thing or not. I have waited 7 months for the C&P exam. I did asked him how long does he think I will hear back from the VA, he said normally in about 6 to 12 weeks but in your case about a week.

So does anyone out there know if approved for an increase what I might be looking at for disibility percentage? I already get 10% for my knee, they have it listed as continueing left knee pain. Go Figure. Thanks for any input

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

How long did you take rehabing your knee. When I had surgery for my knees in 03, 05; the VA paid me at temporary 100% for 1 month, you may be entitled to at least that. Like Bravo said I would get a copy of the C&P so I could see the measurements as they are key in deciding percentages.

Hello. I had a knee injury back in 2001 on active duty. I had a torn Meniscus/ACL tear. I had surgery and received 10% VA disibility from the VA for this condition. I had surgery again on the same knee in 2010 and the VA Dr. not only worked on my torn Meniscus/ACL again because the tear had gotten bigger through the years and plus the military left some debree around my knee cap which resulted in having arthritus in that area. Well he did some shaving of the bone which resulted with continuing pain after the surgery. The same Dr. has me is a ACL Metal Brace which I have been told I will be wearing this for a long time.

I have completed my C&P exam for an increase due to the second surgery and now wearing a ACL metal brace. I have never been to a C&P exam that only took 15 minutes. it was like I was in and then out. All he did was looked at my brace, and looked at my knee, took some measurments of the knee, and out the door I went. So I don't know if that is a good thing or not. I have waited 7 months for the C&P exam. I did asked him how long does he think I will hear back from the VA, he said normally in about 6 to 12 weeks but in your case about a week.

So does anyone out there know if approved for an increase what I might be looking at for disibility percentage? I already get 10% for my knee, they have it listed as continueing left knee pain. Go Figure. Thanks for any input

I have an old friend who started out like you and now has a total knee replacement to his right leg and severe arthritis to the left (normal) leg after years of over compensation. I don't know your age but this may very well be where you are headed sometime down the line. I suggest you use that brace as long as you can tolerate it and keep it handy for when you have to do a lot of walking to help your unaffected knee and keep it from wearing out.

JMO,

Bergie

C&P exam says

right knee unaffected range of motion is 0 to 114 degrees extension/flexion

Left knee range of motion is 8 degrees to 104 degrees. He cannot extend beyond 8 degrees. he has positive anterior drawer sign, The veteran does have TED hose on for varicose veins. There is crepitus with range of motion. The left knee is mildly worsening over time, as indicated as second surgical repair and the use of an unloaded brace at this time. The use of the brace would be thought to be chronic at this time.

[so does anyone out there know if approved for an increase what I might be looking at for disibility percentage? I already get 10% for my knee, they have it listed as continueing left knee pain. Go Figure. Thanks for any input

C&P exam says

right knee unaffected range of motion is 0 to 114 degrees extension/flexion

Left knee range of motion is 8 degrees to 104 degrees. He cannot extend beyond 8 degrees. he has positive anterior drawer sign, The veteran does have TED hose on for varicose veins. There is crepitus with range of motion. The left knee is mildly worsening over time, as indicated as second surgical repair and the use of an unloaded brace at this time. The use of the brace would be thought to be chronic at this time.