VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Back Pain When Sitting

Rate this topic

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

In my lower back I guess around L-5. I know some of the discs are getting thinner. Lately, it has not been so bad. I can't account for this except to say I started new exercises. I did quite a bit of bending a few days ago and had a minor relapse. I have been able to come off the oxycodone to a great extent. Most of this is due to fear of the VA making rash decision to just eliminate my narcotic pain killers. I don't want to be there when that happens, so I have detoxed myself. I don't have really horrible looking spine, but just pain which is aggravated by sitting and bending. I notice if I get too relaxed my back will hurt after a while.

Hey John,

All that bending may have caused the disc material to shift and press up on your nerves. I was sent to physical therapy for months. They focused on strengthening the front and side abdominal muscles along with careful leg stretching. I was told to never do situps in the traditional fashion and had to retrain myself how to do everyday activities. I still get several spinal pain blocks per year, but not from the VA (no med student is going to poke around inside my spine). The combination keeps my condition from worsening further, but it's still not anywhere close to normal.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Orthonics made the difference for me with chronic back pain.

Customs orthonics arent cheap and most insurance wont pay for them.It is amazing that a foot problem can sometimes profoundly affect the back.

I also do Tai Chi Yoga and that certainly helps too and sleep with knee pillow as well and have 5 inches of memory foam stuff on my bed.

I know how miserable back pain can be and have tried to eliminate most of mine.

I use back brace when I shovel snow or weed wack.

• HadIt.com Elder

My back is a little better these days but I am not sure why. Some days it is OK and some days it starts to hurt. It does not matter much what I do.

• HadIt.com Elder

Your body fluid changes regularly. Some days it swells and your back will hurt more. Other days it doesnt and you maty feel OK, Disks re really fluid so they are also effected.

J

• In Memoriam

A few years ago I was only able to drive a little way before pain started. One of the Vets asked me if I had a wallet in my right back pocket. Since I have put the wallet in my front pocket I can drive for about 45 minutes without pain..

There are several mechanical things that can be done, but I don't think certain back pain will ever be eliminated.

Edited by Stretch